Exciting News From Your Friends At Shopsmith

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

chrispitude wrote:This sounds like a good move all around. I suspect they have completely rethought speed control, and are going to a variable speed direct-drive motor (no need for the V sheaves). This would also explain the increased motor efficiency aspect. This should be a win-win for Shopsmith - we get a better, more reliable product needing fewer tune-ups, and they get a less complex product with more profit margin.

Shopsmith - PLEASE make the start/stop buttons actual hard buttons and not touchpads. Also please make the stop button more prominent than the start button (stick it out a bit more, etc.) to help in emergency situations. I do not want to stab at a soft touchpad "stop" button and have the machine not stop because finger was not dead center on the touchpad.

- Chris
Hi Chris, glad to see you posting again! Have you seen this? Look at Nick's post of October 7, 2009. It might answer a few of your questions.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chrispitude wrote:This sounds like a good move all around. I suspect they have completely rethought speed control, and are going to a variable speed direct-drive motor (no need for the V sheaves). This would also explain the increased motor efficiency aspect. This should be a win-win for Shopsmith - we get a better, more reliable product needing fewer tune-ups, and they get a less complex product with more profit margin.

Shopsmith - PLEASE make the start/stop buttons actual hard buttons and not touchpads. Also please make the stop button more prominent than the start button (stick it out a bit more, etc.) to help in emergency situations. I do not want to stab at a soft touchpad "stop" button and have the machine not stop because finger was not dead center on the touchpad.

- Chris

Start and stop etc WILL be membrane type switches(touch pad like).

Emergency stop/off will be the same as present!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

JPG40504 wrote:Start and stop etc WILL be membrane type switches(touch pad like).

Emergency stop/off will be the same as present!
Ahh yes, there's that friendly red switch hiding in the upper left of the posted picture. Excellent!

- Chris
billmeyer
Gold Member

Post by billmeyer »

wlhayesmfs wrote:I was thinking the same thing on the bonus this year to use on the new power pro head and maybe a DC motor for one of my ER's but instead I got walking papers after 23 years the company is cutting back so guess that won't happen. Now instead of a bonus I have to find a job by April 9th or no paychecks. Guess it could had been worse they could have called me in and stopped the pay check that day and not give me notice. But in my 60's I guess I might have to find a new line of work. At least my SS's are still here and working great.
Bill,
Sorry to hear this. Didn't you work for that Arkansas based retailer? I heard they eliminated a lot of jobs. 23 years should have held that for you. Of course, losing my job with them was one of the better things that happened to me, but I was a lot younger then.

Bill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

wlhayesmfs wrote:I was thinking the same thing on the bonus this year to use on the new power pro head and maybe a DC motor for one of my ER's but instead I got walking papers after 23 years the company is cutting back so guess that won't happen. Now instead of a bonus I have to find a job by April 9th or no paychecks. Guess it could had been worse they could have called me in and stopped the pay check that day and not give me notice. But in my 60's I guess I might have to find a new line of work. At least my SS's are still here and working great.
You know, this sounds like an opportunity to me. Have you ever given thought of being your own boss and make woodworking a new career? Nothing like doing what you love anyway and making it pay!
BPR
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Still no mention of price. I wonder if it is that heart stopping?
Guesstimate: 1,250
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Bill, it was the same company, but after 6 weeks I am feeling pretty good about getting while the getting is good. I don't think the guys running it right now care about anyone but themselves, Customers or associates just get in their way of change. I am working on my pens and turning. If I can find something to keep me in insurance and supplies I might just keep on with my woodworking like it was suggested. I enjoy the time in the shop. Just finished a stackable truck for the grandson on a neighbor that is turning two saturday.
I like to trade pieces of different wood for pens if anyone want to do some small package trading.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
glfnjim
Bronze Member

Post by glfnjim »

In May 2006 the Admin from Shopsmith said that they were coming out with a Power Pro for the shopsmith. Did they ever do it or was something happen to it?:confused:
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

glfnjim wrote:In May 2006 the Admin from Shopsmith said that they were coming out with a Power Pro for the shopsmith. Did they ever do it or was something happen to it?:confused:
It is on the way. I do knot think it will be much longer.:)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

With all of the anticipated arrival of the Power-pro headstock/upgrade, I hope Shopsmith will also provide owners who choose to do either with upgrades to the owners manual as well as necessary revisions to PTWFE.

BPR