Pro Fence Router Table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Pro Fence Router Table

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I was looking at the Father's day sales flyer and noticed the Pro Fence Router table and I was wondering if anyone had one?

It seems like a reasonably priced if you had to buy table rails. I think it uses the same ones used on the main table and they are SS priced at $86 and $48.

If you subtract that cost from the table, the table and insert is selling for $230 minus $86 and $46 equaling $98. Then figure most router table inserts are around $50 the table itself is $48 not bad when you figure it is 1 1/4" thick, and laminated and edged with the plate hole cut and rails mounted.

I don't think you could build one for that. I figure I can build a Aux fence that connects to my pro fence so the router fence doesn't look all that attractive to me.

I'm think the router table may stay on my 520 and act as another floating table. Roughly guessing I think this would give me one solid work surface running the length of the SS.

I'm looking for feedback from someone that ordered the pro fence router table. How do you like it?

Thanks in advance
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Pro Fence Router Table

Post by dusty »

If you are seriously considering this, NOW is the time.

It is on sale for $207.89 on line. Make sure that the Router Table (555995) includes the rails.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... tem=555995
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I was looking at the Father's day sales flayer and noticed the Pro Fence Router table and I was wondering if anyone had one?

.....I'm think the router table may stay on my 520 and act as another floating table. Roughly guessing I think this would give me one solid work surface running the length of the SS.

I'm looking for feedback from someone that ordered the pro fence router table. How do you like it?

Thanks in advance
Ed
I think you are looking at 555658. Right? Sorry - don't have one, but do have the OPR with the same fence and similar table construction. It is a nice smooth table and with a little wax it is actually slippery. (doesn't need any silicone!;))
Looks like a good deal to me too. You get the capabilities of under or overhead routing and can leave the table on the SS while doing other operations - as long as you don't want to move the SS while the leg extension is down.

Agree, the fence is not something to write home about (by itself) but any number of aux. fences can be attached to it. I think that's what it is designed for anyway.

Looks like a good price - can't quite follow your price discounting justification, but think I agree!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

My son-in-law and I used the Pro Fence Router Table when we attended a class in Dayton last year. We were so impressed with the dust collection efficiency (dust collector hoses connect on both ends of the fence) that we both purchased the table and fence system (555865). Unfortunately my shop is in remodeling/construction limbo right now so I have not had a chance to try it out.

I think you would want to have the Router Fence (521963) as well as the table (555995).
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Pro Fence Router Table

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Ed,

Like 8iowa, I too have recently purchased the table ( I don't have the fence), but have not had the time to set it up and use it yet. I recently attended a travelling academy and Rick Davis (ricknwood) demonstrated the Incra Ultimate Fence/Router System Package. It was incredible:cool: . I had not planned to buy it before it was demonstrated, but it did not take long to convince me of it's benefits. Anyway, it does include the same router table and in concert with a floating table, it makes a nice wide table as you surmised it would! IMHO the Incra fence system that comes with the package is sooo much better than the Pro Fence, if you are even thinking that you may want it, don't buy the Pro Fence Router System, buy the Incra system instead. If you build your own fence, the table alone would still be a great addition, and if a larger table is your aim, then it is the answer.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

[quote="charlese"]I think you are looking at 555658. Right? Sorry - don't have one, but do have the OPR with the same fence and similar table construction. It is a nice smooth table and with a little wax it is actually slippery. (doesn't need any silicone!]

Chuck
I think we are talking about two different router tables.
Your talking about 555658 and I'm talking about 555995
Dusty (thanks dusty) found it listed online for even cheaper $207 which with my figuring leaves the table costing $207 - $86 and $48 for front and back table rails - table insert approx cost $50 leaving the table itself costing approx $33 bucks for a 1 1/4" completely laminated and edged table. I know I couldn't build it for that. Plus with everyone talking about how nice the table is I think this might be the buy of the year.
Ed
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have the 555995 and have successfuly used it. Initially I had trouble with not adjusting the legs tightly enough. Once I learned to tighten them sufficiently I am impressed with how well it works. The current deal is a good one and well worth the investment. fjimp:)
dusty
Platinum Member

Pro Fence Router Table (555995)

Post by dusty »

Ordered mine today. Hope I'm getting what I really wanted. I couldn't make contact with Customer Service (think they have changed hours) so I ordered online (before the price changes).

Got carried away. Spent nearly $700.00. SWMBO doesn't know, yet. If I'm never heard from again, you'll know the reason why.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Chuck
I think we are talking about two different router tables.
Your talking about 555658 and I'm talking about 555995
Ed
You're right, Ed! We were/ I was. Agree with your cost findings. Hope you got one! Took me a while to find the correct deal. Age, you know!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:Ordered mine today.
Got carried away. Spent nearly $700.00. SWMBO doesn't know, yet. If I'm never heard from again, you'll know the reason why.
Just explain how much you saved!! I thinks that works with shoppers - but then maybe flowers or candy in addition would be good. ;)

But that's not so bad. Things could be worse!
Think I'll be a little frugal for a while. Just had new Motorhome brakes $1,180 came home with the MH and found my wife had thought our minivan side door was stronger than the neighbor's fence corner. Estimated $1,500.:eek:

Hope to hear from you soon!!!
Chuck in Lancaster, CA