Link Drive Belt

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tkhudson
Gold Member

Link Drive Belt

Post by tkhudson »

Somewhere along the way, I read of someone using a link belt from Harbor Freight as a drive belt for their Mk V... has anyone done this?
What are the downfalls? With the current back order situation on this belt.. Im very tempted
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tkhudson wrote:Somewhere along the way, I read of someone using a link belt from Harbor Freight as a drive belt for their Mk V... has anyone done this?
What are the downfalls? With the current back order situation on this belt.. Im very tempted
I don't know where he gets them but Bill Mayo is an advocate of the link belt. I believe he uses several of them on his own equipment.

Be patient and he'll confirm that I am sure.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I am very interested in link belts too. I am toying with a pretty high speed application and wondering if a link belt using machined pulleys would handle the speed rather than buying poly vee pulleys and a poly vee belt.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

robinson46176 wrote:I am very interested in link belts too. I am toying with a pretty high speed application and wondering if a link belt using machined pulleys would handle the speed rather than buying poly vee pulleys and a poly vee belt.
If you are designing the pulley arrangement, I would suggest using steel pulleys with the link belts. The aluminum pulleys on 10ER's have shown more wear from the link belt vs. the regular v belt.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

This is kind of hard deal to pass up since the OEM belt is 19.99 PLUS shipping

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43771
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

I have been using a link belt on my 520 for about a year now with very good results. I didn't buy mine from Harbor Freight, but they would probably be the same.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i use one on my free standing shopsmith band saw. it would really shake, rattle and roll with the original regular v-belt. the twist link belt did fix that as bill mayo said it would. i did not know that harbor freight sells them and got mine from hartville tool. it was the same price except i only got 48" instead of 60".
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I'd use the Power Twist Link Belt (red in color) rather than the HF belt (I've heard it is stiffer than the Power Twist and may cause your sheeves to wear -- Bill Mayo should be able to verify this). You can by it by the foot all over the internet. If I remember right, I used 35 links.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bucksaw wrote:I'd use the Power Twist Link Belt (red in color) rather than the HF belt (I've heard it is stiffer than the Power Twist and may cause your sheeves to wear -- Bill Mayo should be able to verify this). You can by it by the foot all over the internet. If I remember right, I used 35 links.
I do not use the HF link belts (not sure of the quality) as the red Power Twist link belts is what I have been using for many years. Yes, the link belt will cause the sheaves to leave a fine aluminum dust in the headstock so I assume the sheaves are wearing but I could not see any difference from normal sheave wear from the regular V-belt. It does reduce the headstock vibration. It is an excellant belt if the headstock is not used for long periods of time as they do not stick to the sheaves or retain a set from non-use. I have been playing with cog belts lately as they seem to reduce the vibration also but not sure about retaining a set from non-use. I have a few different types of V-belts to test once I get my shop back together and when my health lets me.

I use the link belts on all the belt driven equipment I have. I like the idea that I can change belt lengths very quickly for some of my testing setups and for using different motors in the headstock.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

robinson46176 wrote:I am very interested in link belts too. I am toying with a pretty high speed application and wondering if a link belt using machined pulleys would handle the speed rather than buying poly vee pulleys and a poly vee belt.
I believe you will be more happy with the Poly-V belt for higher speed operations as I believe the links may generate too much heat from the many links rubbing againest each other at high speed. There are many suppliers on the internet for the "J" poly-v belts and pulleys that I sometimes use.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)