Restoring a 55 Mark V

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

Thanks for the pictures. Your SS looks just like my 54 model before I upgraded the table. Both my Dad and I made many fine pieces of furniture from a setup just like yours.

One question though. I'm puzzled by the last picture with Jacobs chuck attached. Is it a standard SS chuck? It seems to be attached to an arbor of some sort rather than the chuck fitting directly onto the 5/8 shaft of the SS.

One suggestion, sell that contractors saw in a garage sell. You aren't going to need it any longer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Restoring a 55 Mark V

Post by dusty »

Yes, sambofl, I am retired Air Force (1979) and then retired (early) again from Rockwell Collins (1998). I am very thankful for two most rewarding careers.

During my AF career, I longed for a workshop where I could do what I so very much enjoyed doing but could not afford. I used inexpensive powertools and handtools back then. Then, very early in my Rockwell career, I went to the Texas State Fair. It was there that I finally found reason to off load all of my cheap shop. I purchased my Shopsmith and nearly all of the SPT that I have today. About the only thing I didn't buy (and regularly regret) was the Joint-Matic and a Shopsmith wall clock.

I've packed it all and relocated three times since then. Thought I was through moving when I retired the first time but I was wrong.

The Shopsmith gear has gone through all of that without a single incident that I can recall.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Greenvilleguy wrote:One question though. I'm puzzled by the last picture with Jacobs chuck attached. Is it a standard SS chuck? It seems to be attached to an arbor of some sort rather than the chuck fitting directly onto the 5/8 shaft of the SS.

One suggestion, sell that contractors saw in a garage sell. You aren't going to need it any longer.

The chuck came with the SS when I got it from my DAD. He did alot of mass drilling with larger bits. So thats all can come up with and it all fits on the the 5/8 shaft. You can see the alan head on it a few turns and it come right off to put the lathe bits on. All I really know is that it took me about 6 hours to take the whole throat out and clean it all up. But the motor is running very smooth now. I will still use the old saw table as a add on to hold larger sheets of wood
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Well I finally finished restoring the SS and even though I broke form the original paint scheme, I think you all will like the outcome. And I had another change to the shop. Maybe one of these days I will actually find a setup in my shop I like the best. But by then they will probaly move me agian. I didn't have a chance to take pictures because I finished just prior to leaving for work I will post them by the end of the week.

Oh and I experimented with some poly/stain on my table top and instead of going with the grain like you are suppose to I went across the grain and I think its rather interesting. I will post those as well and let the masses rate the looks of it and don't worry about hurting my feelings if you don't like it, Im married I'm use to criticism.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Well here are the pictures I promised. I still need to re do the smaller pieces on the SS but the bulk of it is done And as promised as I will attach the table pictures to next post
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Here are the poly/stain experiment on my table top. On the ablove post are the pics of the restored SS. I tried one part of the table with a cross grain pattern and the other side was with the grain
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

how many coats of clear should i put on the SS
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

sambofl wrote:The chuck came with the SS when I got it from my DAD. He did alot of mass drilling with larger bits. So thats all can come up with and it all fits on the the 5/8 shaft. You can see the alan head on it a few turns and it come right off to put the lathe bits on.
The restore is beautiful, I am equally confused about that the chuck is attached to. It looks and sounds like a 5/8" to 5/8" extender from your description. Many people on another thread have been looking for that and did not know it existed.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Yeah I talked with my Dad and he said he purchased it online but that was awhile ago and he doesn't remember the site. And your right its a 5/8 to 5/8 adapter.
And thank you for the comments on the restore I have defently put some sweat into it.
My first SS project was a DVD rack for me and my sons movies and Xbox 360 games. My wife wanted it painted to match the other 500+ DVD rack I made awhile ago so I used MDF. It has no metal and is held together with nothing but Bis. Joints and 2 inch long screw shaped dowels(Idea was given to me from the SS book!! What a pain in the butt). It took me 3 days off and on. Next project hopefully is a Hope Chest and the idea is agian to have no metal in it at all. Completely held together with wood. I like the old school stuff. Sorry about the poor picture quality of the camera.
[ATTACH]337[/ATTACH]