Restoring a 55 Mark V

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sambofl
Gold Member

Restoring a 55 Mark V

Post by sambofl »

Well I'm new to this forum but I've been WW for years. A few days ago I finally talked my Father into giving me his 1955 Mark V. Its been sitting for 25 years in a barn covered by a tarp. I broke it down and loaded it in a trailblazer and drove 500 miles home. Put it back together and took some pictures of its current state. ( I will post them when I get them transfered onto the computer.) I am now restoring it and got the main body and motor fairly cleaned up but pulled about 10 pounds of rust of the dang thing. But I will post the final pictures when I am done. Just wanted to know if anyone had any pointers or things to look out for when restoring this beautiful machine. Most of the rust is on the table tops portions. I can tell I will have it cherry in no time.

Shane
dusty
Platinum Member

Restoring a 55 Mark V

Post by dusty »

Really looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I'm sure you'll be impressed with the results of your labor. Mine is not that old but I love it.
pepe
Bronze Member

restoring

Post by pepe »

good luck in restoring ----just remember after all the rust is gone and all is smooth use plenty of JOHNSON PASTE WAX not liquid---paste---use it on all parts---down tubes--table tops--rub it in good---you use paste so the saw dust does not stick to it--have fun PEPE
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Sam:

I just know that you are going to end up with a beautiful and useful Shopsmith.

I know that this is a break with the tradition of " originality", but I'll suggest the addition of modern upper and lower saw guards. This will also greatly enhance the opportunity for good dust collection. In the good old days manufacturers were not too concerned with the hazzards of unprotected blades and breathing dust.
sambofl
Gold Member

Pics of my Mark V

Post by sambofl »

Well I took the pictures before I started working on it today and I got started on the Planer. First 3 pics are the before and the last two are after 5 hours of steel wool and WD-40. I think its gonna finish up just right. And thanks for the tip on the wax.
dusty
Platinum Member

Restoring a 55 Mark V

Post by dusty »

Thanks for the visual report of your progress. It looks as though you are doing great. I'm surprised to see such heavy surface rust, but then I live in the desert with a relatively low humidity most of the time.

Do the cats play in the workshop with you?
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

The SS has been in Kingman AZ for 30 years. The surface rust wasnt very thick just very very dark. And no the cat is inside but I get those containers so I can keep them and put scrap wood and other items so I can stay organized. Its kinda a bad time to get the SS cause Im also in the middle of redoing the shop so I have crap all over the place right now (pictures below), should be done by tommorow. But the dogs hang out with me in the shop till I go to fire up the noisy stuff then the run for the hills. I will continue to post the pics of the SS and I will post more pics tommorow of the new remodeling.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

And Dusty I see you are Retired AF. Im Active Duty AF out of Kirtland
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Well here are some update pics for the In-progress restoration and the re-organized shop
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Great pics!

I like the idea of the glider chair to sit in and admire your work. Now if only I had room for one in my shop.

Keep up the good work and reporting. Looking for ward to seeing some of the first projects to come off the "new" machine.

John