Queen Ann Legs

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

terson525
Bronze Member

Queen Ann Legs

Post by terson525 »

Does anyone know where I can find info on turning Queen Ann table legs?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

As far as I know they aren't turned. They are sawn out (rough) on a band saw - then rasped, shaved, sanded. When this is done the pencil outline (or pattern) is fixed on two adjacent sides of a squared blank. After the first side is cut out - the cut offs are saved and taped back in place. This gives an almost squared piece again to saw the second side along the pattern. The taped cut offs are then removed and a rough Queen Anne leg is born.

If I can be so obtrusive - you don't need more instruction for band saw use on this. Just draw out a small leg on a squared small work piece and cut yourself out a "toy" leg. Incidentally, this is a lot easier than it seems to the casual viewer of these beautiful legs. This was my first project with my band saw and it came out real well.

I have seen some articles on turning off centered objects, but I will let that go to be addressed by some of our turners. They will know if you can turn these legs. Frankly, I just don't know!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

The June 2007 issue of Fine Woodworking has a whole article devoted to this.

Alan Cooke
dusty
Platinum Member

Queen Ann Legs

Post by dusty »

Maybe this will help.

http://www.woodzone.com/plans/cabriole_leg.htm

Post by charlese »

That's a great post with URL that Dusty gave you. I have one problem with the tools needed to make the legs. A Spoke Shave can give you problems as the slope of the leg changes and the knife starts against the grain. For that reason I used a rasp and hat excellent luck with it. I think a rasp is less expensive than a spoke shave or draw knife.

As a carver I learned early on about trying to use a sharp blade against the grain. Unless you have experience with the spoke shave - I can't recommend it.

Best Wishes
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA