The Dreaded 10E Quill Return Spring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tkhudson
Gold Member

The Dreaded 10E Quill Return Spring

Post by tkhudson »

OK.. got ready to start putting this thing back together. Quill return spring seemed a little "sluggy" so I took it off and cleaned it out... you got it, POP GOES THE WEASEL! Anyone have any secrets to throwing this thing back together? Im currently taking a "time out" from it. I am considering using a hose clamp to compress it to fit into the housing and slipping it in... any suggestions will be appreciated as I HATE FLAT SPRINGS.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Wind that baby up from the inside.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I did the same thing with my Mark VII. Pulled the quill out too far not realizing that it would come all the way out and had a momentary heart attack. But I relaxed and took everything apart and cleaned it all up. Then I looked over the spring assy. and figured it out pretty quick. Hooked the inner spring catch on the rod catch then I hooked the spring to the housing and started to wrap it up until I could get it to push inside the holder. Then I realized I wrapped it the wrong way.......DUH! So do it all over again not a big deal if the 10ER spring is the same as the Mark V/VII.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I did the same thing with my Mark VII. Pulled the quill out too far not realizing that it would come all the way out and had a momentary heart attack. But I relaxed and took everything apart and cleaned it all up. Then I looked over the spring assy. and figured it out pretty quick. Hooked the inner spring catch on the rod catch then I hooked the spring to the housing and started to wrap it up until I could get it to push inside the holder. Then I realized I wrapped it the wrong way.......DUH! So do it all over again not a big deal if the 10ER spring is the same as the Mark V/VII.
That's pretty much the same method I used on the two ERs that I've restored and it works great. Just keep a tight grip on the parts until you get the spring in the housing.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
kameljoe21
Gold Member

Post by kameljoe21 »

what it did to fix it was this
i pulled the handle off cleaned it up a bit
it was a little tough coming off but did ok
then i took my drill with brass wire brush attachment and cleaned the shaft up
doing this first will help ease the bushing off
loosed up the set screw and then proceed to remove the bushing
once that was off there is a washer behind it ( may or may not be )
then i slid off the spring and cleaned up the housing a little bit and then cleaned up the spring ( it was pretty clean )
then finished cleaning the shaft
i removed the quill and cleaned it a little
i lined up ever thing and made sure that the quill would slide right back in ( placed in in there just enough for it to hold on )
then i tool a small aleen wrench with the angle side and slid it in the hole ( its like a keyhole with the allen wrench being in the small part )
slid on the spring housing just a little then proceed to clip it on the litte knob ( it may take a time or two )
once it is on there i wind the housing ( i think clock wise ) with every turn i slid it in its place then proceed till its tight
hold the housing with your left hand ( i griped the head stock and held it with my thumb )
i placed the washer and bushing on ( that why test the slid of the bushing before doing so helps to ensure that it will slid on easy)
using my thumb to hold the bushing tight i reset the set screw
then i slid the quill in ( ok may be i put the quill in first now i can not remember )
i check it to make sure it works and put the handle back on
and that about it
http://s853.photobucket.com/home/kameljoe21/allalbums
194X Spiegel 4.5" Jointer M600 NO460
1947 ShopSmith 10E S#9074
1957 McCulloch 55 Chainsaw
1955 Mall General Purpose Chainsaw
1952 Farmall H S#368935
1985 Honda 125M ATC
2006 Honda CRF 50 F
1978 Packard Drill Press M#120F-IND
195x Delta Table Saw S#AY4575
1997 Craftsman Chipper M#247797851
1982 Ariens Snow Blower M#ST504
194x Duro 30" Scroll Saw S#B07132PL
194x John Deere #5 Sickle Mower
19xx Antique Modified 3PT Hay Rake
derekdarling
Gold Member

10 ER Quill Spring

Post by derekdarling »

Hi, I don't suppose anyone has pictures? I picked up an otherwise very healthy 10ER with the quill out, the previous (to me) owner couldn't figure out how to get it back in. Once home, i saw that he also had put the shaft on the other end in backwards, and the spline shaft was also hanging up on either some old hardened grease, or some metal shavings. I'll look at that bit tomorrow.

I still have to figure out hwo the quill spring sets, and I don't want to take mo other (working) 10ER apart to find out! I only LOOK stupid!:D

Derek
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

I messed up the quill feed in my 10ER when removing it. The spring broke where the holes to hold it are and now I have two problems : ))

Any ideas on how to bore a couple of holes in the spring material, hwat is the best way?

Any replacement ideas? Would a MARK V spring work there?

I could not find detailed assembly and disassembly info as available here for the MARK V. I also tried the Yahoo group but I did not find such info.

If you know of such info please let me know.
Ed
Carmel, NY
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

eartigas wrote:I messed up the quill feed in my 10ER when removing it. The spring broke where the holes to hold it are and now I have two problems : ))

Any ideas on how to bore a couple of holes in the spring material, hwat is the best way? Use very good drill bits and very good file

Any replacement ideas? Would a MARK V spring work there?I think so

I could not find detailed assembly and disassembly info as available here for the MARK V. I also tried the Yahoo group but I did not find such info.

If you know of such info please let me know.
This is a much despised task.

If you have a hole punch, that may work better than a drill. Still need to file though.

As for getting the spring back in the housing, slip the outer end into the slot and wind it into the housing. Never let go until done.

Now for attaching the inner end to the shaft, I form(bend) the spring in to a gradually decreasing radius spiral shape until the keyhole just intrudes into the shaft area. Add a slight inward bend at the spring end quarter inch or so. Insert the shaft into the housing and rotate the shaft so the spring retaining stud will slide towards the end of the spring. As the stud approaches the keyhole, make sure the stud will slip into the keyhole. Finally make sure the stud seats fully into the narrow end of the keyhole. The bend at the end will provide slight tension by pushing the spring against the underside of the stud head.

Wish I had my camera again.:(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I didn't find it all that hard to do. May have gotten lucky? I even used the 10ER to drill the hole in the spring! :).

Just go slow, think it out, and it goes together pretty easy. My 10ER quill works better that the Mark 7 .... :rolleyes:

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

Thanks for the good advice and encouragement. I'll be trying the repair whenever I can put aside some quality time for my shopsmiths
Ed
Carmel, NY