Newby Arbor Compatibility Question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Newby Arbor Compatibility Question

Post by kd6vpe »

Hello everyone this is my first time leaving a question on this forum. You guys have left so much information here I just love it. I am a new SS owner. I bought at model 500 on E-bay. Then found out about the trouble at SS so I immediately bought two books from them and plan on buying more. My question is I will be upgrading my 500 to a 510, can I use a model 510 arbor on a 500? I see I can't go from a 500 to a 510 due to the length of the arbor. I just don't know how long it will be before I can afford the upgrade but I also would hate to by something I won't be able to use down the road once I do upgrade. Thank you for you time.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

KD6VPE,

The shopsmith tools are clearnly in class by them selves and seldom need any repairs. I personally believe they will make the necessary adjustments and be around for a long time to come. Failing that the shopsmith culture will remain for far more years than any of us will be around. Parts will be available in any event. I suggest you begin learning about the many tasks your tools can accomplish and enjoy making sawdust. Jim:)
charlese
Platinum Member

Up grading a 500

Post by charlese »

kd6vpe wrote: I see I can't go from a 500 to a 510 due to the length of the arbor. I just don't know how long it will be before I can afford the upgrade but I also would hate to by something I won't be able to use down the road once I do upgrade. Thank you for you time.
Sure you can! You can certainly up grade from a 500 to a 510.
You can also upgrade from your 500 to a 520.
As you say, upgrades do cost a couple of bucks.
The 500 to 510 upgrade - $787.49
The 500 to 520 upgrade - $1079.99
Both of these prices came from the Father's day catalog on line and are good through June 30. (links are below)
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/500to510.htm
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ofence.htm

Sorry - can't answer your arbor question.

If you are on their E-mail list there may be more discounts on the above prices and any purchase over $125 gets a free shop apron. Even if you don't buy, can't hurt to call the toll free number and ask about prices and the apron. Also ask them about your arbor question. (1-800-543-7586)

Happy Fathers' Day!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

kd6vpe wrote:My question is I will be upgrading my 500 to a 510, can I use a model 510 arbor on a 500? I see I can't go from a 500 to a 510 due to the length of the arbor.
The arbor will fit on the shaft, but I'm skeptical that it would work with the 500 table. The table insert is not in the same place, and even if you made a wooden insert, I don't think the lower saw guard would be compatible. Come to think of it, the upper guard would not even line up with the blade, so I'd say no go.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

If I remember correctly the 510/520 arbors are longer thus placing the blade a little further right of the headstock. You would have to insure your table was moved a little to the right to center the blade in the blade table insert.

In otherwords you couldn't depend on the rubber spacer to line up your table
once you mounted the blade. You will need to position the Table so the blade in centered in the table insert and everything else should be fine.

I agree with the others unless you need to buy spare arbors why not wait until you need some, by then you may have upgraded.
Ed
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Thank you all for your input. I felt I could not use the arbors but just want to be sure. So I will buy one for the 500 and wait till I get the upgrade. I was going to by 3 arbors for the 500 for my blades to save time on changing blades but I can live with this till I upgrade. Just have to convince the wife that I should spend more money.
dusty
Platinum Member

Why Do I Need to Upgrade?

Post by dusty »

Because I can do a much, much better job with the new, improved rip fence and the larger table and the new carbide tipped saw blades.

That way, those projects that you want - the kitchen cabinets, the book shelf, the shelves in the pantry, the new door molding - all of that will be done faster, cheaper and better.

Note: The italicized items above change to fit the case.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

One thing to think out is when will you do an upgrade. The 500 arbor will not work on the 510/520. So if you go out and buy 3 500 arbors and then upgrade to a 510/520 the 500 arbors are useless. Shopsmith runs sales all the time via email. They just ran the upgrade sales in the last 30 days. I know that every winter they are on sale also. I upgraded my 500 to a 510 via classifieds/ebay and saved a few bucks but it didn't come all at once. If I where to do it again I would go for the upgrade straight from shopsmith. It is night and day difference between the 500 and 510. A better table carriage, floating tables, nicer fence, nicer guards and a larger table.:D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Trust me don't upgrade to the 510 go all the way to the 520. It is so superior to the 510. The 510 is a marked improvement over the 500 but 520 is that and more over the 510.

Knowing what I know now I would have never wasted my time or money going to the 510 (it was the only thing when I first upgraded) I would go straight to the 520

The biggest problem with the 510 was keeping the floating tables level with fixed tables. The tables tightened to the rail from the side so one could high and one low. On the 520 all are tightened from the bottom. They are all forced to the same height.
Second big change was the rip fence. It can now be adjusted from the top with it locked in place.
This is rip scale, you now have a scale on rip fence to set your cut width to.

Trust me on this if you upgrade go to the 520.
Ed
muncyjohn
Gold Member

Post by muncyjohn »

kd6vpe,

Yes, having extra arbors does save a lot of time when changing blades, I also purchased my SS 510 on ebay and along with it I did get about 6 arbors, 2 are for SS blades the rest for 5/8 blades.

Problem is that some of them must not be for my SS because at least 2 are too long, at least they are when used with a saw blade the end where the nut goes on will not clear the bottom of the table. I notice that the previous owner must have been using them though since I can see where it is wore from rubbing on that rib!

If these will fit yours you can have them cheap lest someone tells me I am missing something and find another use for them! I'll wait for any replies!
Else I'll measure and picture them if you are interested!
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!