Weekly Blog - June 18th

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - June 18th

Post by john »

As expected, not much done on the WW side due to a little trip down the road to Niagara Falls, On. I did manage to finish two bread knives, though one needs a little tweaking with the blade.

Also managed to get to the Rockler store in Buffalo. (That story could take a while). Picked up a special drill bit to drill holes for marbles in a chinese checkers game. That is a project that I have had in mind for some time as it is one of my grandson's favourite games to play with Grandma. I also picked up a set of their plastic sanding disk holders so I could make a storage box similar to theirs for my ROS disks, and some marbles of course.

As we were standing around waiting to pay, the lightbulb went on. They had a Father's Day special. People that bought a $25.00 + gift card would get a free Clamp-It square (value $11.00). So my beloved bought the gift card, received the freebie, and then promptly handed me the card which I used to apply against the cost of my purchases. That alone almost made up for "the long story" part.

Have a good week!

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

John - sounds like you have a number of projects lined up. Cradles, CD/DVD shelf, Chinese checker board and a couple of boxes. Nothing like staying busy. I think you will find your Clamp-it-Square pretty valuable when gluing up shelves and other square stuff. I love my pair of them.

Had a week of more research on styles and shapes of plantation shutters. Some are kinda clunky, but functional - others are on the dainty side. Still looking for a local supply of small 18 gauge staples. Probably will end up ordering on line.

Received my Father's day gift and got it mounted a few minutes later.- - One of those Shopsmith wall mounted table hangers--.
The place for these hooks (about the only "wall" space remaining in my shop) is on the main entrance door to the shop. Clamps on one door and hanger on the other. Gotta say the floating tables make a nice loud door knocker. Couldn't use the entire kit as designed because the door is not wide enough. However, to give the short tubes and floating tables and support legs a storage location, beats the heck out of having them leaning against the wall or sitting in a cardboard box.

Shop tip: note the shelf above the doors for storage. I first saw this method above a electric garage door. (support brackets upside down)
Probably should order another $125 of stuff from SS so I can get a clean apron. (dirty one hanging from clamps)
Attachments
both doors now taken.jpg
both doors now taken.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 10599 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Hello all,

Thought I'd share a humurous mistake. I'm building the Family Traditions Rocking Horse for the grandaughter and everything was going great until...

I was going to wait until the weekend, but 1 afternoon I had a few minutes so I decided to try and cut 1 of the saddle halves out on the bandsaw. This turned out pretty good so I decided to squeeze the other half out also. In my haste, however, I forgot to flip the patterns over, so instead of mirror images, I had 2 halves pointing in opposite directions:)

I started to leave it in case the grandkids wanted to try riding backwards also, but I don't think the missis will go for it!

Alan
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

Congrats on the set-up for hanging the tubes and tables. I have looked enviously at those but found them pricey so I just used long pegboard hooks. Not as neat and compact but they do the job.

Once again I'm impressed with your shop organization.

Yeah lots of projects in line but that dosen't mean I finish them all. Often I forget what I had lined up and proceed to my newest "favourite" project without even realising it.

Alan:

You are not alone in making that mistake. In fact most of my mistakes have been with the saddles. I made that same one, then on another horse, decided to drill holes for the dowels while I had the squared up blanks, then made the same mistake on cutting again so now I had two problems. The dowels had to go right through but I was able to hide them pretty well with stain. And those are only a couple. Have fun with the horse!

I have attached a couple of pictures of the bread knives, one oak, The other maple, I think, but then again it may be cherry. As you can see I am not a photographer. I started laminating wood for my next one today. It will be oak on both outside faces with a padouk line running down the middle.

As always, have fun.

John
Attachments
Bread Knives #1.JPG
Bread Knives #1.JPG (157.16 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
Bread Knives #2.JPG
Bread Knives #2.JPG (159.13 KiB) Viewed 10583 times
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

alancooke wrote:Hello all,

Thought I'd share a humurous mistake. I'm building the Family Traditions Rocking Horse for the grandaughter and everything was going great until...Alan
Hi Alan! You've joined the "Club" (if you haven't already been a member for a long time).

My Son (the engineer) tells me that one of the most often occurring errors in engineering is "the reversed image" syndrome.

This has happened to me too many times! One of them haunts me every day. In one of my shop cabinets, I mounted the peg board in the door inside out. (fuzzy side out). (I let that one stand) Another time I dadoed ..."censored" (reverse image). Another time.....ugh!

Anyway, this is an error we all subject to and ..... get it right. At least most of the time! My daily reminder is the fuzzy peg board! Even that doesn't remind me all of the time. How about the problem with my corner cabinet's 6 light door?

Thanks for sharing yours'. Oopses can be humorous if we let them. Your latest has been done before (and fixed) says our forum mate, John.

A wise man once said, "If you don't make any mistakes, you aren't doing anything!"

Glad you could enjoy it!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA