Expansion plug for way tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Expansion plug for way tubes

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I was reading up on another thread about restoring these machines and Heathicus and JPG both used a automotive or marine expansion plug. I looked for one of those locally and could not find any. Can someone point me in the direction of finding one preferably at a local supplier that I could run down and pick one up i.e. Ace Hardware, Carquest, etc. Thanks guy's I really need one of these gizmos to finish the tubes on my new Mark V acquisition.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I found mine at ACE in the plumbing dept.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I was reading up on another thread about restoring these machines and Heathicus and JPG both used a automotive or marine expansion plug. I looked for one of those locally and could not find any. Can someone point me in the direction of finding one preferably at a local supplier that I could run down and pick one up i.e. Ace Hardware, Carquest, etc. Thanks guy's I really need one of these gizmos to finish the tubes on my new Mark V acquisition.
Auto parts stores should carry them. They are used to replace the freeze plugs in an engine should they rot / come out. Get the correct size range. Way and bench tubes have different ID's
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Did ya try the plumbing dept?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

beeg wrote:Did ya try the plumbing dept?

I did but struck out I will try Ace Hardware tomorrow. Thanks guy's your the best!
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wannabewoodworker wrote:I was reading up on another thread about restoring these machines and Heathicus and JPG both used a automotive or marine expansion plug. I looked for one of those locally and could not find any. Can someone point me in the direction of finding one preferably at a local supplier that I could run down and pick one up i.e. Ace Hardware, Carquest, etc. Thanks guy's I really need one of these gizmos to finish the tubes on my new Mark V acquisition.

Freeze plug, frost plug, core plug, rubber expansion plug.

Auto parts stores.Hopefully someone working there will recognize one of those names.

If not, pm me and I will send you one. You need to be sure what the id of the tubes is(yes they do vary - 1 3/8, 1 1/2, 1 5/8) model 10 is 13/4 od and 1 3/8 id, way tubes 1 3/4 od and 1 1/2 id and SOME Early bench tubes 1 7/8 od and 1 5/8 id.

BTW Plumbing plugs are not available in the right sizes.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I got mine at the local True Value hardware store. 1-1/2" worked in both my way and bench tubes.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Picked mine up at Home Depot for a couple bucks apiece.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

i got mine at Napa... a Tube nut (coupler) is a good idea to add along with the nut on the end of the expansion plug, this will eliminate any chance of the thing coming loose. I put a piece of threaded rod on the other end of the tube nut to attatch my to my drill chuck.
sliver
Gold Member

Post by sliver »

I used "Papco" brand "E-Z Seal" expansion plugs from a local automotive supplier in 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" sizes. They fit my MKV tubes perfectly. However, I had to replace the flat washer on the larger one with a heavier washer because the original was collapsing under the torque of the tightening nut allowing the tube to spin on the rubber insert. To adapt these to my drill I tightened a coupler for threaded rod onto the bolt and then threaded a bolt that I cut the head off into the other end to be inserted into my drill chuck. This worked quite well. You might check out my thread on my experience with my tubes.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=5161
That's as close as damn is to swearin'.