Re-installing motor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marshoaks
Bronze Member

Re-installing motor

Post by marshoaks »

I'm brand new to the forum. I've inherited a ShopSmith from my son who transferred from a project and left it with me. Before he left one of the sheaves (sp??) was broken, so he said. I cannot see that either of them are broken. I tried to reinstall the motor so I could run it and try and see what the problem is. However, I can't even fit the motor and it's cover beyond the horizontal tubes.

Sorry, I don't even know what model I have. Can someone tell me how to determine the model and how to reinstall the motor.

Thanks in advance.

Marshoaks
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Pictures? Will help the group diagnose your issue a lot better than guessing from what you've written.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

marshoaks wrote:I'm brand new to the forum. I've inherited a ShopSmith from my son who transferred from a project and left it with me. Before he left one of the sheaves (sp??) was broken, so he said. I cannot see that either of them are broken. I tried to reinstall the motor so I could run it and try and see what the problem is. However, I can't even fit the motor and it's cover beyond the horizontal tubes.

Sorry, I don't even know what model I have. Can someone tell me how to determine the model and how to reinstall the motor.

Thanks in advance.

Marshoaks
As already stated, we need a bit more information to be able to help. If you can find any markings (on the headstock) that would identify the unit we would be better off. Model number, part number, serial number - anything. Pictures would also help.

In the meantime, the motor is mounted with four bolts inside the motor pan. The motor pan mounts to the headstock with four or five screws.

Maybe these will help:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt1.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt1.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:As already stated, we need a bit more information to be able to help. If you can find any markings (on the headstock) that would identify the unit we would be better off. Model number, part number, serial number - anything. Pictures would also help.

In the meantime, the motor is mounted with four bolts inside the motor pan. The motor pan mounts to the headstock with four or five screws.

Maybe these will help:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS121/SS121_Shopsmith_Reborn_Pt1.htm

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS121/SS121_Shopsmith_Reborn_Pt1.htm

If it has adjustable sheaves, then it is a Mark 5 or a Mark V"(possibly a mark 7, but not likely).

As Dusty has stated, the motor mounts by 4 screws to the 'motor pan'. Realize that that mounting is done with the motor pan removed from the headstock. The motor pan/motor/linecord are then mounted to the headstock by 5 very small screws. This is easier done with the headstock raised to the vertical(drill press) position. Position the headstock all the way to the right(bottomed out in vertical mode).

However the sheaves can be examined without the motor 'running'(indeed such is not to be recommended if a sheave is broken).

With the motor pan removed it is quite easy to visually examine the control sheave etc.

What we do not know here is what is meant by 'broken'. A chunk physically broken off. It doesn't work properly.

The links from Dusty above should help you understand how it is put together, and how it should work.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Shouldn't just a removal of the belt cover give visual access to the sheaves?
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:Shouldn't just a removal of the belt cover give visual access to the sheaves?

He should be looking at them if the motor is 'removed'.

That said, realize there are two variable sheaves. One is the motor pulley, and the other is the idler shaft pulley.

Also the 'belt cover' must be removed to attach the motor pan etc.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hobbydad
Gold Member

Post by hobbydad »

Marshoaks,

When I need to remove/reinstall the motor pan, I use this method:
  1. Put the SS in horizontal mode
  2. Raise the main table so the bottom of the vertical tubes is above the base tubes
  3. Put a board across the base tubes underneath the vertical tubes of the main table
  4. Unlock the handle for changing to vertical mode
  5. Crank the main table down until the way tubes begin to raise
You should be able to raise the headstock enough to slide the motor pan underneath, then lower it back down to attach it.

If this isn't clear, I can try to take a picture.

Loren
marshoaks
Bronze Member

Learning

Post by marshoaks »

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I knew so little that I wasn't even aware that the top tubes could be raised to the vertical position. I'm learning though.

I removed the sheaves from the motor with my son's assistance and found that the noise was coming from the sheave being too close to the motor housing. I tightened the set-screw and the noise is gone. Not sure if that is what my other son thought was the problem or not. I will reassemble and see what happens.

Again, thanks to all and I'm sure I'll be seeking your advice again.
Marshoaks
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

marshoaks wrote:Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions. I knew so little that I wasn't even aware that the top tubes could be raised to the vertical position. I'm learning though.

I removed the sheaves from the motor with my son's assistance and found that the noise was coming from the sheave being too close to the motor housing. I tightened the set-screw and the noise is gone. Not sure if that is what my other son thought was the problem or not. I will reassemble and see what happens.

Again, thanks to all and I'm sure I'll be seeking your advice again.
Marshoaks
Shopsmith has been using a thicker material for the spacer behind the fan sheave in recent years. I would recommend ordering this spacer (#124) as I find the fan sheave will work loose over time if not firm againest the spacer. I find I can still use the fan sheave with the new spacer even when the thinner spacer has cut into the back of the fan sheave allowing the fan sheave to rub againest the motor end plate. I use red (permament) Loctite on the fan sheave and set screw.

This is a common problem I find when rebuilding the headstock. I believe what may cause this problem is when removing the motor drive belt, the floating sheave is allowed to snap back againest the fan sheave when the belt clears the sheaves.

The Shopsmith CS ladies know what I want even without a part number being listed in the parts catalog.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
fiatben
Platinum Member

Welcome to a great forum

Post by fiatben »

Marshoaks,
Wanted to say "Welcome" and let you know that you're not alone in ignorance. I bought a '55 model Shopsmith a couple of weeks ago and am learning the nomenclature and how it comes apart and goes back together. In fact, I'm headed out to the barn in a few minutes to finish pulling the last pieces out of the headstock.

As a fellow newbie, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND watching the four Sawdust Sessions that go thru reconditioning a unit. These will answer almost all your questions and let you see firsthand what is what and where it goes.

For the remaining questions, this forum is THE place to go. It is a great bunch of guys who give and give, and some true experts who will steer you away from trouble.

So, along with the videos, go to Shopsmith's Service Parts Catalog online for diagrams and parts lists:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/index.htm
and don't be afraid to work on it as these are deceptively simple machines (well, compared to my old cars their simple).

Arkie Ben, a hillbilly wannabe woodworker