Headstock lock stuck

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gampa
Gold Member

Headstock lock stuck

Post by Gampa »

Has any one else had the problem? I just finished installing a lift assist on my SS and when I when to test it out the Headstock lock became very difficult to turn. I had noticed when I started that it was a little more difficult to turn then normal but when I went to unlock it didn't want to move, eventually I got it unlocked but now it will not turn or with a lot of pressure about an 1/8 of a turn. The brakes are loose on the tubes and even slide back and forth a little. I don't think this was caused by the lift assist installation. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Will it not even turn to the left to allow you to disassemble the brake? That is what I would do, then check the tubes and wedges for damage, replace damaged parts, then clean, lube, and reassemble.
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

The locks are disengaged but will not turn any further nor will they tighten again. I have submitted this problem to shopsmith to see what they have to say.

Walt
dusty
Platinum Member

Headstock Lock

Post by dusty »

I think you may have to cut the threaded rod in order to disassemble. The rod seems to be frozen in the wedges; probably compacted with an accumulation of dust and wax.

There is a posting on this site regarding this very problem. It is one submitted by Nick.

I'll look for it and post it if you don't solve your problem soon.

Do a search for posts written by "Nick" and then scan through those that look like possibles (by their titles).
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

Dusty: Thanks for the info: I found the thread and this sounds like the only solution. The wedges have been squeaking for a while now when tightened, (more than likely overtightened more than once before I knew better) that combined with rotating the way tubes while installing the lift assist caused them to give it up. For anyone else that is interested here is the link to the posting:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=160

Walt
Gampa
Gold Member

Headstock Lock stuck lessons

Post by Gampa »

A little additional info for any one who is checking this out. One of the locks had its threads stripped to the point the it just totally locked up and would not turn in any direction. Disassembling the the headstock was the only solution to getting the locks out. Luckily only one lock had been stripped which allowed the other to turn enough to be worked out. Trying to remove the stripped lock off the rod resulted in the rod being turned into a pretzel. The only solution was to purchase new locks and a rod.

Lessons learned from this:
1. Don't over tighten the headstock lock.
2. The inside of the headstock can get really dirty. Follow the maintenance manual and vacuum/clean it from time to time. All that graphite, sawdust, and regular dirt can not be good for the way tubes. :)

Walt
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

You are not alone in that over tightening thing gampa Walt! I didn't do the headstock lock and don't think I ever will - not because of the manual, but because of this Forum.

I once over tightened the jointer fence so tight, I stretched the fence quadrant so much it had to be replaced. When stretched - it rocked - so I tightened it more! Lessons, Lessons, Lessons! We have learned the hard way not to over tighten!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA