Link belt on a Shopsmith?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Link belt on a Shopsmith?

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these, and what kind of results did you have. The description sounds very tempting.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202005 ... -Belt.aspx
David

10ER - SN:21949, Acquired 11 Jan 2010
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Yep it's been tried an with good results.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

retiredsoldier919 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these, and what kind of results did you have. The description sounds very tempting.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020051/10346/1-Foot-of-12-Link-Belt.aspx
I have not used one myself but Bill Mayo (billstoolz) is a strong advocate of the link belt. I would suggest you PM him with your questions.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

Yep... on my Mk-V AND My 10E speedchanger... only way to fly. I will have them on every tool in my shop soon. Check out HF, the price there is way better and as far as I can tell, the quality is as good.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The only drawback I am aware of is that they create pulley wear faster than 'normal' belts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

Mine works fine (from HF) but at the very lowest low speed it starts to touch the headstock casting causing a little whine and you have to go back up a little. That only means I'm missing out on a bit that's below SLOW anyway with the changer set correctly.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
retiredsoldier919
Gold Member

Post by retiredsoldier919 »

Thank you all, for your opinions. I think I'll give this a try. I've got to replace my v-belt anyway.
David

10ER - SN:21949, Acquired 11 Jan 2010