Need Ideas

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sambofl
Gold Member

Need Ideas

Post by sambofl »

I just recently reorganized my shop and received my fathers 1955 SS. I do have a thread on it on the General Forum under restoring 55 shop smith and the inserted picture is one from that thread. The question I have is if you open the picture attached you will see a part circled. Its pretty clear what I'm asking by seeing it and I have a couple ideas how to fix it but I figured I would ask the more knowledgable masses for maybe a different angle of approach. I was mainly thinking just building a small platform for the table saw and the other table cause I raised everything to the minimum height of the SS saw table. I don't want to get rid of the other saw cause it was a gift from my wife and don't want to hurt her feelings. So I will still use it from time to time so I'm using it as extra table space for cutting 4x8 sheets. Plus I'm military so I have to be able to break it down to move or god forbid store. So a perm. fix is not a option. Any ideas??
salmonslugger
Bronze Member

Post by salmonslugger »

Why not use the tools you have and cut some properly sized hardwood strips that you have slotted in two separate lengths at least the length you need for extention and drill the metal legs, insert a through bolt in the metal legs, through the slotted hardwood strips then a couple fender washers and wingnuts to tighten the leg extentions and use as levelers too!

Salmonslugger
Neah Bay, WA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Ideas

Post by a1gutterman »

Salmonslugger has a great idea. Another one would be to aquire a Universal Mobile Mount (sold by SS and others) and put the apropriate blocks between your legs and the Universal Mobile Mount. That would allow you to move it around without always adjusting your blocks. As for the work bench, I think that you could permanatly alter the legs for your desired height.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Need Ideas

Post by dusty »

You could:

1. Give it to me. It's about the right height without those wood blocks.

2. List it on ebay. Buy another Shopsmith with the proceeds.

3. Use salmonslugger's fix. Only use steel angle iron, predrilled/slotted.
(I have some you can have - it was adjustable/breakdown shelving)

4. I like a1gutterman's fix. Universal Modil Mount w/locking wheels.
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

First of all let me say thanks for your service.
Second a universal stand like gutterman said is a great fix also there are plans for stands out there in magazines like woodsmith and shopnotes.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Thank you guys I think I have a pretty good idea and will post a pic upon complition
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

Well This seems to work great I recut the other hardwood I had and I will make the bolt inserts later. Its level now but next place I move I might not get so lucky.
rdewinter
Gold Member

leveling idea

Post by rdewinter »

All of the ideas presented are good and will work, but personally I would raise the saw rather than raise the table. I think four stable legs on the ground would be better and provide greater safety. I would build a platform the same size as the footprint of the saw and add a plywood top to the platform that you could secure the saw with bolts, of possible. If not possible, build the platform with sides or cleats that encompasses the base of the saw so it won't move. Secondly, secure the platform to the top of the base. The challanging part might be the measurements necessary to make the platform the right height to match up with the ss.
Good luck