making a bed frame

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

rdewinter wrote:batg4, the metal strip inlaid to hide the glueline is a terrific idea. I will definitely use the idea. Thanks
I hope you'll post a photo when you get it done. I'm glad you like my idea. I've never tried it myself, but I think it would add an interesting look to the project.
rdewinter
Gold Member

Post by rdewinter »

berry
You ask a good question but I don't think I can give a real difinitive answer. I certainly am not a designer but I'll give you my best description of "urban" from my prospective.
First of all, it's not your mom and dad's house! What it isn't is-homey, stuffy, overcrowded, fluffy or soft, and heaven forbid "feminine", or any other traditional class such as country, french, gothic, 50's, roman etc, etc.
The closest label I can think of is modern or industrial.
The textures are metal, stainless steel, minimal fabric, epoxy materials, plastics, and would you believe "wood". "Urban" often combines one or several of these materials together, e.g. fabric and copper on a wood headboard. Fine joinery and a finished look is not "urban". Fasteners such as bolts with washers show, mitered corners a no-no, screw heads showing, galvanised pipe as part of the piece, glass somewhere, interesting finishes (shiney, dull, colorful etc.
That's my concept of "urban". Hope that helps.