raised panel door

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

raised panel door

Post by scottss »

Ok there is only one more thing (besides finishing) to do on our armoire. Its making a raised panel door. I have cut raised panels on other table saws but not on my shopsmith. Is there a plan or picture of a jig on shopsmith that rides on the fence? I know Ed I could buy a rail and style bit set but I don't want to right now.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

scottss wrote:Ok there is only one more thing (besides finishing) to do on our armoire. Its making a raised panel door. I have cut raised panels on other table saws but not on my shopsmith. Is there a plan or picture of a jig on shopsmith that rides on the fence? I know Ed I could buy a rail and style bit set but I don't want to right now.

Scottss
Yes in the Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone book page 104-105 has a jig to do raised panels on a SS. I scanned in the picture to send you but I read the copyrite of the book and I can't do it.

If you don't have the book, basically the jig is a fairly large piece of ply that has two more pieces attached to it as a saddle over the fence. Sort of like this " h " The high leg of the h is close to the width of your panel and where you attach the panel your going to cut. The horizonal piece of the h is width of the fence and short leg of the h is the height of the fence. I have seen some Jigs with another piece on the bottom of the short leg, this piece rests on the table and give stability to the whole thing. On the large piece is stop block to regisiter the your panel against and a clamp to hold it in place. They tilt the table 5 -15 degrees.

If you decide to build a raised panel jig do a really good job you can use the same jig to cut tendons (don't tilt the table), cut chamfers and if you remove the stop block and clamp as high aux fence.

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the picture.
Ed