Extension Table Alignment

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I feel that the main tables and all its integral parts are right on.

In fact, the entire set up works great. Alignments are fine, fence slides from table to table no problem. Life is good.

Until I install an extension table or floating table (especially extension table) into the system somewhere other than where it was first aligned.

Said more simply. Left is Left. and Right is Right. If I move the Right Extension to the left side - tubes bind. If I move the Left Extension to the Right Side - tubes bind.

If I use both extension tables, I might not be able to install the 5' tube.

Here is the kicker. Put everything back where it was initially aligned and it works fine. Therefore, I have labeled the tables and they live where they were aligned.

Floating tables don't play into this at all. Like you implied, the floating table are just there if you need them.

Stop and think. A Shopsmith is delivered with a single extension table. The manual never discusses the system with two. I'm not sure but I don't believe there are pictures or line drawings with two. Maybe SS didn't intend for two.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Been thinking about your problem a little today when doing other things. Came up with the idea to try exchanging the mounting of the support tubes on the extension table and tightening them down while on the SS. - Even reversing the tables on the support tubes to see what happens.

Sounds like Ed & Ed have arrived at this kind of solution before.

Good luck!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Just remember that after aligning the main table miter slots to the spindle to check the the alignment on the Extension Tables, it could change depending on how much you rotate the main table to square it to the blade.

Proceed through the alignment steps in order or you may have to backtrack.

Jim in Tucson
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I would really love to hear Nicky weigh in on this issue.

I can hardly believe SS only offers one extension but two positions to mount it in and then say it will only align in one or the other.

I don't doubt Ed (Reible) or what he read I simply find it hard to believe this is what SS meant. That coupled with a the fact that it make not sense.

Think about it the extension table should be relatively flat and hopefully square. The support tube sockets should also be aligned to each other. The only thing that could throw either off is if the one end of the SS is racked in reference to the other side. If you eliminate this racking then the support sockets should be back in alignment with each other and the extension table shouldn't care which side it is in. I will agree a small difference in height of the footprint could make a major difference.

For instance if the right front foot is 1/4 inch higher than the rest of the other 3 feet on the SS this 1/4 would cause the way tubes to slightly twist as all four feet come into contact with the ground. In effect you have the right sided of the SS racked 1/4 inch to the rear. Now put the extension table in the socket on that side and 1/4 inch gets magnified.

That all said I still think if everything is adjusted right, the SS is setting on a flat (notice I said flat not neccessarily level) surface the extension table should work in the either end. If not I would think it a quality control problem.

For SS to say this won't work and only supply one table yet provide two positions and show extension table in either position is deceptive advertising I would think.

Like I said I would like to hear Nick address this issue.
Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The tables can all be aligned to one another and everything works well. Please let me make that perfectly clear. There is NO problem until you try to use one of the extension tables in a location other than where it was aligned
(right or left).

Even then, the problem is nothing more than tubes being difficult to insert because the rails are not perfectly aligned.

Incidental Footnote: Shopsmith has not, to the best of my knowledge, issued an alignment procedure specifically for extension tables and floating tables on the 520 Pro.

When an upgrade kit is received there is an alignment procedure for the rails after they are installed (actually it is part of the installation procedure for the new rails) and that is all. Table to table is not mentioned.

If one buys a new 520, the documentation may very well be different.

Which brings us back to another discussion, Nick. How are you coming with the revised procedures? Has the force reduction effected this schedule much.

Are the procedures that were online (but have been pulled) going to come back?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.