raised panel cutters

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

scottss
Gold Member

raised panel cutters

Post by scottss »

Ok back to the raised panel. I was thinking of getting a rail and style bits but after a little thought I was wandering about the shaper cutters shopsmith sells. Has anybody used them for door making and if so whats your experience?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Raised Panel Doors

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi scottss,

I can not answer about the SS shaper bits, but you should know, (and if you already do, pardon my intrusion) that buying the router bit set that cuts the rail and stile does not include the bit that you need to cut the raised panel. Using the rail and stile set, it is possible to make complete doors without the panel cutter by using plywood, or some other flat panels (including glass, but then you also have to cut the lip off the back to get the glass in and out). The rail and stile set just makes a prettier door than some other methods. The router bit that cuts the raised panel is available in two styles; one style (more expensive) allows you to make the cut with the panel laying flat on your router table, the other style (less expensive) requires you to hold the panel up the fence. IMHO the cut is easier to make with the panel flat on the table. A table saw can cut raised panels, as you have described in another post, but you generally do not get any curves, just a flat angled cut while raised panel router and shaper bits are available in a variety of styles. Just food for thought:D .
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.