Small cordless driver?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Small cordless driver?

Post by Gene Howe »

Living in a very rural area, I have limited places to find what I need. Can someone point me to a site to find a non pistol grip, rechargeable cordless driver. Don't need a lot of oomph but would like a long life per charge. Would consider disposable batteries if necessary.
Thanks folks.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

I'd do a google shopping search. Search on cordless screwdriver
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

Li-Ion is your best bet for battery life, no matter what brand you choose. Don't know your price range, but the Milwaukee V4 Li-Ion driver is a very nice tool.

Ken
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Black and Decker makes a nice cordless screwdriver. Holds its charge for quite awhile as well.
BPR
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Home Depot has the following Black & Decker Driver which has a handle that can be either in a pistol grip or straight position with other angles also. It is around $30 and has a NiCad battery. Not sure how long the charge last. These seem to sell quite well. You can also find this at Amazon as well

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... arketID=19
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks to all that replied.
guess it'll be the HD B&D
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

If you trust reviews, here you go:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4217781

I agree with kenbu and the review article that Li-Ion is a major PLUS factor to consider. That's the battery of my choice.

This Black and Deckerisn't in the review but is the one I own, purchased at HD 4 years ago, now sells for $30, and it's great for driving most any screw. Holds it's charge, has adequate power for most applications, and its tiny. I know you said non-pistol grip but unless you have a good reason, try it out in your hand when you go to HD. Try it out. For $30, if you don't like it, return it.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

He! He! - I keep thinking of the time about 35 - 40 years ago when my son asked if I had a cordless screw driver.

Couldn't understand the question and replied, "Every one of my screw drivers are cordless".;)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

FWIW, The Black and Decker cordless screwdriver now has a lithium ion battery.
BPR
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have an old Black and Decker that uses 4 AA cell batteries. I use it all the time and the batteries last about 2 or 3 years with my usage.

I throw it in my drawer and grab it when I need it. When the batteries die I simply replace them and I'm good to go. No worry about chargers, battery memory or battery life.

Interestingly I have two cordless driver/drills, one I keep a driver bit always chucked into it but I usually grab the B&D driver first.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!