Belt Sander Troubles

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

drichards1
Bronze Member

Belt Sander Troubles

Post by drichards1 »

I bought a used Belt Sander from the 80s, which had an old power station. I have taken the sander apart and cleaned it twice now and cannot get it to hold the tension on the sanding belt. Aside from sending it in to be repaired, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Dave
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Do you have a manual? I've rebuilt a couple, the top roller needs to be turned to apply tension to the built. Spin the knob to the right (I think) until it gets tight. Latch it in place, then slip the belt onto the sander. When you release the lever on the knob, it should unwind, tightening the belt.

Start it up REALLY slow so you can adjust the tracking of the belt with the two horizontal knobs on each side.

Good luck!
Matt
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
mikelst
Gold Member

Belt sander tune up in Sawdust Session 12

Post by mikelst »

Check out this video nick did a while back.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Tuneup.htm

it should help
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thainglo wrote:Do you have a manual? I've rebuilt a couple, the top roller needs to be turned to apply tension to the built. Spin the knob to the right (I think) until it gets tight. Latch it in place, then slip the belt onto the sander. When you release the lever on the knob, it should unwind, tightening the belt.

Start it up REALLY slow so you can adjust the tracking of the belt with the two horizontal knobs on each side.

Good luck!
Matt

Yours has adjustment knobs on BOTH sides?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

I think there is only one available from the outside. There is a second adjustment that Nick talks about in the above Sawdust session. but it is internal and set during assembly.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

JPG40504 wrote:Yours has adjustment knobs on BOTH sides?:confused:
Nope. That is what happens when you're speaking from memory and said memory fails! Thanks for catching.
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thainglo wrote:Nope. That is what happens when you're speaking from memory and said memory fails! Thanks for catching.
I understand that only too well!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange