5/8" Shopsmith to #2 morse female

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

5/8" Shopsmith to #2 morse female

Post by paulmcohen »

I just went to the American Wood-turners Show in Portland and got an incredible precision drill chuck (it is a 1/2" chuck that will hold a #80 drill bit). One use is to drill holes on turned earrings. It came with a #2 morse taper male fitting that fits great into the Shopsmith tail-stock, and for earrings it is perfect. I would also like to use it in drill press mode and for that I need a way to mount it to the headstock, has anyone seen this kind of adapter for a Shopsmith? The chuck has a #33 Jacob taper in it and that might be another option if someone knows where to find that adapter. The person that sold it has heard the Shopsmith question before and said just find a machine shop to make you... and at that point I stopped listening due to the cost.

The show was packed with over 1,500 people paying upwards of $400, plus travel expenses to attend and every vendor I spoke to was very happy with sales. Two new wood lathes were introduced for the first time at the show and lots of new tools that I had never seen. Unfortunately I showed up at 4:25 and the show closed at 4:30 today. I was allowed to stay to 5:00 to at least look. I need to go back tomorrow.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not? If it is then I can help do some research for you. But this is from my 1955 Mark V 500 so I am not sure if it came with this setup or not. But I can find out in a fairly small amount of time.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

sambofl wrote:I don't know if this is what you are talking about or not? If it is then I can help do some research for you. But this is from my 1955 Mark V 500 so I am not sure if it came with this setup or not. But I can find out in a fairly small amount of time.
That looks like the drill chuck is mounted to a #2 morse taper and then inserted into an adapter. That adapter is exactly what I am looking for.

I don't think Shopsmith ever sold them.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

They don't sell them. My father told me that he bought one from a metal fab shop that sold them for the same reason that you need one for. I did some online research and it looks as if you can call several online fab shops that sell this type of setup fairly regular. But mainly shops that deal with fabrication machines. Check those online and I bet you can find what your looking for. Mine however is a 5/8 to 5/8 adapter so it would do you no good.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

sambofl wrote:They don't sell them. My father told me that he bought one from a metal fab shop that sold them for the same reason that you need one for. I did some online research and it looks as if you can call several online fab shops that sell this type of setup fairly regular. But mainly shops that deal with fabrication machines. Check those online and I bet you can find what your looking for. Mine however is a 5/8 to 5/8 adapter so it would do you no good.
Any links to the kind of shop you are talking about. I have done several Google searches and not found anything close.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

try these I didnt dig to deep into the sites but a phone call to them might get you the correct info.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp

http://www.irtools.com/

http://www.americanmachinetools.com/
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

I took the adapter apart so if it will help looking at it seprate I hope it helps
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

They will sell me the metal lathe to make my own adapter:p

I am just going to have to find someone with a metal lathe.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

sorry i couldn't be more helpful
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

paulmcohen wrote:I just went to the American Wood-turners Show in Portland and got an incredible precision drill chuck (it is a 1/2" chuck that will hold a #80 drill bit). One use is to drill holes on turned earrings. It came with a #2 morse taper male fitting that fits great into the Shopsmith tail-stock, and for earrings it is perfect. I would also like to use it in drill press mode and for that I need a way to mount it to the headstock, has anyone seen this kind of adapter for a Shopsmith? The chuck has a #33 Jacob taper in it and that might be another option if someone knows where to find that adapter. The person that sold it has heard the Shopsmith question before and said just find a machine shop to make you... and at that point I stopped listening due to the cost.

The show was packed with over 1,500 people paying upwards of $400, plus travel expenses to attend and every vendor I spoke to was very happy with sales. Two new wood lathes were introduced for the first time at the show and lots of new tools that I had never seen. Unfortunately I showed up at 4:25 and the show closed at 4:30 today. I was allowed to stay to 5:00 to at least look. I need to go back tomorrow.
Paul
Does the manufacture offer any adapters? As I understand the question the ideal adapter would be a piece of metal with a #33 Jacob taper at one end and 5/8 bore with set screw at the other. However you could also use a 1/2 smooth end and chuck it in SS's router chuck. Or you could use one with a female theaded hole either in 1/2 inch or 5/8 hole and use the SS shaper chuck or 5/8 saw arbor.

Before you discount a machine shop do a few inquires. All that is needed a blank of mild steel with one end turned to a #33 taper and other bored 5/8" with a set screw. Or #33 at one end with the other turned down to a 1/2" cylinder.
Cost of material and set time would be minimal so depending on how busy the shop is determine the cost. You might find a machanist that would do it for you on their lunch.

A third option MIGHT be getting another adapter like the one you have then at the #2 taper end using files and your lathe turn that end down so you can either had enough of a shaft you can chuck it in SS drill chuck or 1/2" router chuck. All you reallly need is enough of the #2 taper to be taken off so the thing will mount solidly in either drill chuck or router churck.

Before you discount this I have turned a number of things down on my SS lather using files as cutting tools. I'm no machanist but the parts I made worked for me.
Ed