buying a used shopsmith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

uwrasta
Silver Member

buying a used shopsmith

Post by uwrasta »

I'm thinking about buying a used shopsmith mark v used probably about 20 years old has scroll, band, jointer, sander, vacuum and the unit itself. I don't know much about the units and just getting into woodworking but thought for the price it would be great. I believe the guy when he says his dad used it for a couple years and it's been sitting for like 15 years. he's asking 850 for it. Just wonder what you all think and what I should look out for. also where is the serial number on these units so I can know aproximately when this was manufactured. anything else you guys/gals can think of let me know thanks
rd
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Check out this sawdust session.
The serial# should be on the left end, under the two drive hubs.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS121/SS121_Shopsmith_Reborn_Pt1.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Considering all the extras (bandsaw, jointer, etc) that is not too terrible a price. That assumes that the motor, speed changer and the like are in good condition! If not, maybe the price is not so good. Also assumes it has the manuals and all the little parts such as the 1/2" drill chuck, the lathe face plate, etc. Also look for the lathe turning tools, miter gauge, etc. You can get all that later from SS, EBAY, etc but it will cost you a bit of money.

Couple of other points:
#1: Check the SN against the info on the Shopsmith website to make sure the age is really what is claimed. There are also other subtle ways to tell the age - color of the SS, etc.

#2: Thee are 4 models of the Mark V - the model 500 (the original), the 505, the 510 and 520. Look at the SS site to note the differences. Each is progressively better (basically a bigger table and better fence). If this is a 520, it is really, really a good deal. A 505 or 510 is very nice (my two SSs are 510's). And the 500 is no slouch.

Sounds like an interesting deal. Lots of support at Shopsmith and here on this forum. Also a Yahoo group.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
uwrasta
Silver Member

thanks for the info anyone in the Olympia WA area here

Post by uwrasta »

just wondering if anyone in the pacific northwest is around or online at anytime. I'm supposed to give this guy 100 dollar deposit and pick up next monday. anyone wanna take a trip over. I'm picking it up in portland.

thanks
rd
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

welcome to the forum. there is a great group of people here who are really helpful.

in terms of your questions, 20 years is pretty young in the expected life of a Mark V if it is properly maintained.

people here have paid more and gotten less than you list and vice versa. some deals just work out better than others. also, occasionally, great purchases that start out as gloats turn into repair/reconditioning projects. even those have generally worked out positively for the people that stuck it out and did the re-conditioning.

first thing to know is: never change the speed dial setting if the motor is not running (for repair or maintenance purposes, you can use the sanding disc to turn the spindle by hand while you change the speed setting, but this is the exception)

take a look at the various Special Purpose Tools on the SS site so that you know which is which. it is not unusual for someone selling a jigsaw to call it a scrollsaw or selling a jointer and call it a planer.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... tindex.htm

do notice that the SS "vacuum" is actually a very good dust collector. it is not intended to vacuum up chunks, blots, and the like because they go through the impeller blades before they get to the collection bags.

the serial number is normally on a round plate located around one of the shafts on the left end of the powerhead (when standing in front of the side that has the on/off switch and speed control). a small flashlight is really helpful in trying to read it. starting in 1988, the serial number is the manufacturing date.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

you might want to take a quick read of the blog by a SS fan called Shopsmith Tool Hunter. he has been re-structuring his site. today, the section on buying used SS equipment is about 3/4 of the way down the first page. the description of the history of the Mark V and the SPTs start on the next page that you reach by clicking on the "Older Posts" links.
http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.com/

hope to see you back here often,
Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
uwrasta
Silver Member

here are the pictures of the unit that i'm considering buying

Post by uwrasta »

here are the pics can any of you jedi's tell me anything from the pics??? thanks
rd

follow this link::

http://picasaweb.google.com/uwrasta/Sho ... directlink
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

uwrasta wrote:just wondering if anyone in the pacific northwest is around or online at anytime. I'm supposed to give this guy 100 dollar deposit and pick up next monday. anyone wanna take a trip over. I'm picking it up in portland.

thanks
rd
you might try posting this as a separate thread in the Community section with a thread title along the lines of "Portland OR help sought".

an explicit request for help with location would be more easily seen than one down in a thread about the value of a used SS.

just a thought.

Ivan
uwrasta
Silver Member

thanks!!!!

Post by uwrasta »

appreciated. is this a good thread or should I move my pics to a different location??

thanks
rd
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

uwrasta wrote:here are the pics can any of you jedi's tell me anything from the pics???
I'm merely an apprentice here, but some of the obvious:

the Mark V is a 500 with a regular toggle switch as the on/off switch. this means that it was made before 1991. it does have the ridges on each side of the switch. IIRC, that makes it newer than my 1984 version. if the insides of the headstock as as well maintained as the way and bench tubes, then it should be very nice.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/markv.htm

the bandsaw has the older style cast iron table. SS switched to a larger aluminum table in the late '80s. there are some advantages to the cast iron table so this is not necessarily bad. just an age indicator.

the scroll saw is a scroll saw. it is the older gray version. there is an upgrade kit for the gray model that makes it easier to change the blades. again, older is not better or worse. the gray is the version that I have.

the sander is the 6" version. it is very useful. sometimes the glue on the sanding belts breaks down with age. if you plan a major project using the sander, you might want to pick up some fresh ones. SS has good sales on these. if you need to replace one in a hurry, I have sometimes found the right size at Sears.

the jointer is old enough to still have the older style cutter guard. there is an upgrade to a combination guard/featherboard that is worth doing. it requires (IIRC) drilling and tapping one hole as part of the upgrade.

DC: I'm not good enough to tell from the front whether that is the current or the older version of the dust collector. if the on/off switch is on the vertical post, then it is the current version. if it is in the middle of the back on the motor cover, then it is the older version. the newer version is quieter because of switching to more plastic and less sheet metal. both versions are very good, just the newer is quieter.

there is part of a mortise and tenon set hanging on the wall. the full set includes what looks like some drill bits inside of a corner chisel. the drum sander attached to the belt sander is very handy. it is removable when not in use. if it has not gotten lost, there should be a small (probably silver) cone that slips over the accessory shaft when it is not in use (to keep you or your clothes from getting snagged on it).

I paid more than that for my first Mark V 500 and got less. if the 500 and the DC run well (and the DC sucks properly), then I for one would be happy with this deal.

if the son is knowledgeable about the SS, I would ask him to walk you through the different setups. I would also take off the saw blade, put on the lathe drive spur, and run the Mark V through its speed ranges while watching the tip of spur for wobble. the point should not wiggle up and down when spinning. if the point wiggles, then you might need to replace the spindle bearings. this is not normally very expensive and there are some real experts on here who can walk you through that process.

if something is wrong, then see how much less he will take for it all. at that price and with this many accessories, you are still getting a good deal even if you have to make some minor repairs (assuming that you know or are willing to learn how to make them).

Ivan
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

uwrasta wrote:appreciated. is this a good thread or should I move my pics to a different location??
this is the perfect place for the pictures. they are specifically for the discussion in this thread.