Weekly Blog - July 2nd

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - July 2nd

Post by john »

Well, another slow week in the shop.

After sulking for a while over my router bit experience, I managed to salvage the pieces by raising the roundover bit to an appropriate height. I re-routed all the pieces that form the stand part of the doll cradles so they now have a roundover with a slight edge. Actually I think I like them better that way.

Hopefully I will finish them this week and be done with them.

On Saturday the 7th, we will be headed down to Alburg, Vermont for two weeks on the shores of Lake Champlain so there will not be too much to report for a while. I might try to have some ShopSmith items delivered to friends in the area as the Canadian distributer has not replied to my request for prices and the items I am most interested in, (bandsaw fence, Flip stop), are overpriced on their website given today's erxchange rates.

Have a great Fourth of July Holiday!

John
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Good to see your smile again, John! As we make mistakes, we begin to learn it is not in our best interests to get mad! In a very large % of times we can figure out a way to make a fix and save the piece. Glad you like your new roundovers even better than before the oops.

I spent most of the week trying out ways to make louvers, cut/rout out full size prototypes. More of this in the "Louver help thread"

On the Internet, found a Plantation Shutter router kit (from "Woodline USA.) and decided to go that way. So spent the last couple of days making a "Fully loaded router table fence" from "Wood Magazine". It will replace the boards and HDMW I have been using for fences there.

Been warm here with 105 yesterday and 55 last night. The A/C in the shop can keep it at 79 to 80 on such days.

Enjoy your Independence Day!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Well, this weekend I managed to get all the saddle and bridle inlays finished on my rocking horse. No real mishaps and the wife approved!!

I've now moved on to fitting the legs to the body. When I was cutting the wedges for the legs on the bandsaw, I had a few problems cutting them with an even taper but figured I would be able to 'sand them flat' and they would work. I started this sanding by hand and it was taking forever to get a good fit. I don't have the beltsander (yet) so I finally tried the disksander. I tilted the SS table to the appropriate angle, clamped the leg securely to it and then eased the disksander into it with the quill feed. This sanded a perfect taper from the wide part of the wedge to top of the leg. Slick as a whistle.

Not sure if that set-up fell under "safe operating procedures" or not but it worked great so please don't tell me if it was wrong:)

I'm on vacation until the 10th, so we're headed to PA in the morning.

Have a great 4th!!!!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Alan:

Interesting that you sanded you wedges after attaching them to the legs. as mention in a previous post, the wedges gave me trouble and I tried correcting them before attaching them. Your idea sounds like it might be worth a look as I plan on building another RH before the fall craft show season.

Also as mentioned, I have avoided inlays. They must look really good.

I hope you enjoy(ed) the vacation

John
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Chuck:

I'm afraid I always get angry, but I also usually walk away from the problem and come back later to attack it.

In fact when I was in the working world, some of my co-workers used to get confused as I would often be taking it easy when all hell was breaking around me. My moto was "when you have too much to do, do nothing". A break was often the best way to recharge and move ahead.

Looking forward to seeing those shutters, you are putting a lot of effort into them so they should be worth seeing.

Have fun!

John