Contour Sanding Drum Question

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Contour Sanding Drum Question

Post by reible »

Hi,

I picked up a 754200 Contour Sanding Drum from shopsmith and was wondering if anyone else here owns one... and if so how do you inflate it???

I tried my bicyle pump and could not get it on the valve stem.

In the instuctions it says you might need a valve stem extender so I pick up a set of them and I can't get it to screw on either!!! And even if I could it says to not leave it on when you are using it....

I then decided to take it apart so I could take the end off and then have good access to the valve stem.... Not sure if that is how I want to do this everytime I want to use it. Per the instructions these things need attention day by day of use, ie they leak.

Looking for some one with experence with this or simular models that inflate the same way.

Ed
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Ed, there are two possible solutions to your problem and you've already discovered one of them. You have to partiallly disassemble the countour sander and remove the nylon mounts to be able to reach the valve stem. Valve stem extenders (at least the extenders commercially available these days) do not work; I don't know who wrote that misleading bit of misinformation but they deserve twenty lashes with the business end of an air hose.

The other solution is to scour the flea markets for one of the old-style tire pumps with the simple knurled ring on the end of the inflator hose. I was lucky enough to retain one of these that came with my childhood ten-speed, and it works great. I also have a 1900-vintage brass pump in the Wright brothers display that we take around to museums. (They were once bicycle makers before they got busy and invented the airplane.) It also works well. I've seen these sell on Ebay for just a few dollars.

My guess is that the contoured drum sander was designed by someone who still had the old knurled ring in mind and hadn't realized that the bicycle industry had discarded that simple design in favor of something bulkier, clumsier, and more complex. Ah, progress...

By the way, I love this tool. I use it so often that I bought two pillow blocks, a drive center, a cup center, a short length of 5/8" shaft, and made it into a stand-alone sanding tool. My kids have found nothing better for sanding the struts, leading edges, an other aerodynamic surfaces of the airplanes we build.

With all good wishes,
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Thanks Nick!

I wrote a response to this the other night but now I see I must have forgot to submit it??? Oh well that's OK I don't remember all that I wrote and it is in /dev/null by now. (Its all about age and trying to post at 3:30 in the morning.)

Anyway I was in the shop this afternoon looking for a drawer to store my contour sander and sleeves. Some place where I can find it again when I need it.... the carboard box on a shelf just didn't do it just respect.

Anyway as I was looking at the worthless valve stem extenders,the ones that can't be screwed on the contour sander and thus worthless for what I wanted to use them for. As I looked at how they work I came up with an idea. If I could saw off the threaded end to just the right spot it just might work. First try I took off too much and when I put on it worked at letting the air out and not much more. Using that one as a gauge I did another and this time it seems to work. I filled and unfilled it several times, while not a very good solution it will work until a better ones comes along.

I'd have to say after using this for some light shaping operations this is already added to a new capacity to my shop and beats the hand sanding I have been doing.

I might just do a review and add a few pictures if I have time this fall. I think a lot of people here would find this a good addition to the shop. I haven't used it enough to say it is a must have but I'm leaning that way already.

Ed
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Ed,

I recently purchased the inflatable drum sander. I am a bit surprised that shopsmith didn't make me aware at the time of purchase of the pump limitation. Of course Nick was kind enough to enlighten us which is appreciated. I wonder why I make these discoveries after I didpose of an item I will need rather than before. Oh well, I would like to see a picture of the adapted extension as I will need to do something similar. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dusty
Platinum Member

Discarded but Useable Parts

Post by dusty »

Jim

You need to adopt a new policy on "disposition of shop items".

Don't discard anything on the premise that someday you may need it.

I did just that many years ago. It has saved me many, many times. However, sometimes it costs me too. Sometimes I have to look for days to find the item that I just know I have around here somewhere.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Dusty,

Good advise. My bride and I are beginning preperation for a long distance move next year.. The presure to thin out my treasures is unreal. That bicycle pump hadn't been used for more years than I can remember. I tried partially disasembling the unit and using the air compressor to inflate it. That works but clearly one could overinflate it easily. I will geep my eyes open for an antique air pump. Jim
F. Jim Parks

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Please remember I haven't used this idea much so it may not be a long term solution but I'm up and working with it for now.

I got a 4 pack of the extenders at an auto parts store. They came in various length but all were constructed the same way and cost something like $1.50 with tax. This store didn't give much of a choise so if you were to shop around maybe someone makes a type that would just screw on???

I posted a picture at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12199425@N ... 724523509/

photo location updated 11/11/2008
you can double click to see a larger image. The one in the middle seems to work, it will depend on what you are working with so this is only a modest guideline. I used a small saw to do the cutting, holding the stem in a saw kerf for support it is all over in like 5 seconds.

If anyone tries this I would like to know how well it is working for you... of if anyone finds the "thin" screw on hoses or a different extender please post information.

Ed
fjimp
Platinum Member

Countour Drum Extenders

Post by fjimp »

Ed,

Great idea. Have you by chance measured the length on the piece you are using sucessfully? It may save some trial and error to know that. I will pick up a set of the extenders tomorrow. Then I begin looking for a bicycle pump. Thanks for the pictures. Jim
F. Jim Parks

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The one I'm using has 3/16" removed. But again this might be dependent on the extender... you might want to start at an 1/8" and work your way from there if that doesn't work well. I got the extenders at a NAPA store after checking at a hardware store and a Wal-Mart thay were on my shopping trip anyway but neither carried them.

Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hey Guys! I have a pair of flexible dual tire valve extenders on my motor home. They have small valve covers (the female part) that screws onto the tire valves.
I have included a link to "Camping World" that shows three types of extenders. 1)braided steel 2)rubber 3) A long extender 4) for spare tires. Some of them have the small knurled female connectors.
If you have a local RV store in your vicinity you can look at them. They may just fit your bill.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/prod ... 2&src=SRQB
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA