Shopsmith "Self Study Course"

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

This thread got me to thinking: what about a group study such as what what done with PTWFE last year? I could see some benefit here!

BPR
tunznath
Gold Member

email reply from shopsmith about ordering

Post by tunznath »

Hi This is the email i got from customer service

We are sorry but at this time we do not ship outside the US. However, if you have a US address that an order may be sent to and then forwarded onto you we can do that.
Also, the Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone is still available. It is p/n 555069 $39.99 plus shipping.
Thank you

Customer Service
800/543-7586

Oh Well - I saw that it is available from the shopsmith place in The United kingdom, maybe a better deal probably cheaper postage and no hassles with customs duty as I am in The european union, just hope they have one in stock. it costs GBP £ 29.95 there about USD $45.75.
tunznath
Gold Member

@ BEEG / bob

Post by tunznath »

Just checked the quill this morning theres nothing in the teeth under the quill clean and looks good,
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

tunznath wrote:Just checked the quill this morning theres nothing in the teeth under the quill clean and looks good,
Is there any rust or corrosion of any kind on the end of the quill? My Mark 5 had been left sitting for years with the quill extended about 2 inches and that 2 inches ended up with a good bit of rust on it while the rest of the quill was fine.

If nothing is visible that needs to be sanded and cleaned, then it may just need a little wax. Use some Johnson's Paste Wax (or whatever paste wax might be available to you). Apply, let dry, and buff it off.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

ryanbp01 wrote:This thread got me to thinking: what about a group study such as what what done with PTWFE last year? I could see some benefit here!

BPR
I'm all for it.
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
simonmac2
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmith "Self Study Course"

Post by simonmac2 »

hi,

i've just picked up a 510 (and i'm in the UK) so would like to get the self study course completed

the self study course on the SS website in PDF format for download seems the right one - but is unreadable as it is so faint.

The hardcopy for sale, is for the Mark 7.

my questions are:
- is the Mark 7 course still completely valid for a 510?
- if not, does anyone have a decent PDF copy of the 510 course?

i'm happy to buy a second hand hardcopy - but can't find one anywhere (even abebooks globally)

Thanks

Simon
dusty
Platinum Member

Re:

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote: Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 am This thread got me to thinking: what about a group study such as what what done with PTWFE last year? I could see some benefit here!

BPR
https://shopsmith.com/wp-content/upload ... 9-FREE.pdf
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

If you are on Facebook, the Shopsmith Owner's Group on Facebook has a large file section that has a readable copy.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

simonmac2,

First off welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

I would like to know if you are referring to the actual Self Study Course or the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone. The Self Study Course is divided into 10 Lessons (chapters or sections) with a total of 66 assignments. A least that is the way a copy I have purchased in 2001, Revision dated 10/87, is laid out. I have or have seen other copies which are divided into the 10 Lessons. The Self Study Course was normally included along with the Owner's Manual when purchasing a Shopsmith Mark tool. I do not know if the Self Study Course has been updated showing the Mark 7. Even if it has you could still follow the 10 Lessons using another Shopsmith Mark model.

The book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone is a companion book with additional information about using the Shopsmith tool and dates back to 1953 with the 1st edition using the Shopsmith Model 10ER. The next and later editions show the Mark V in use. Although the current edition for sale new shows the Mark 7 on the cover it is still the 4th edition inside from 1989 showing the Mark V being used. You can see the contents of the book here on the Shopsmith website under Learning in the middle column under Resources labeled Power Tool Woodworking. Do note that the list of sections is in a different order than the chapters in the actual printed book. The link Dusty provided takes you to a PDF copy of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone here on the Shopsmith website. It can also be found here on the Shopsmith website under Learning in the middle column under Resources by clicking on Manuals & Information in the list of documents available to download for free or purchase.

I hope this answers your two questions.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
emmayashri
Bronze Member

Post by emmayashri »

It's great that you are starting your woodworking journey. The self study course with the shopsmith can help you learn basic skill and term.