Shopsmith "Self Study Course"

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

You never go wrong learning the basics... :cool:
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Paul - I found the self study course to be almost essential for learning woodworking skills with the table saw. Even after years of making cabinets, shelves, etc., with a RAS, I found the course to be extremely helpful in learning the basics of saw usage and joint construction.

Look at the course like the basics. It is a lot more fun and understandable to make something if you have a good knowledge of the basics. The difficulty of woodworking without these basics must be similar to doing algebra without knowing many basics.

Then there is another big plus! The pages are still on the shelf and available for reference.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

All of this makes me think of one word: Quality.

Sadly, every company freely touts that their products are "quality." But when was the last time you found an instruction manual actually helpful, or an included "how to" book that was anything more than a teaser for a bigger volume you had to purchase.

It is because of QUALITY that these forums are filled with true-believers. It is because of quality that these machines are running a half century later.

It also has a sad side. I've read too many ebay and Craigslist ads where a lovingly cared for Shopsmith is being sold because the owner has become too ill, or too dead. I hope my family will find a good home for mine when I'm gone -- or better yet that my daughter's flickers of interest will catch fire and it will someday be hers. (I was out buying some beautiful 4x4 Mahogony and Cherry yesterday because she had been enthralled with Nick's bandsaw box Sawdust Session.)
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

My vision is for my son to receive it as part of his inheritance and lovingly take care of it. He seems to be showing interest.

SS is a quality tool.

Enjoy the self study course, the more you put into it and push yourself to learn the details of each joint the more you will get out of it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

paulrussell wrote: . . . But when was the last time you found an instruction manual actually helpful, or an included "how to" book that was anything more than a teaser for a bigger volume you had to purchase.
. . .

Seems they are included merely to CTA by including an insane number of 'safety' precautions regardless of whether the contents are relevant or not!(extension cord warning on battery operated gadget!)Image
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fiatben
Platinum Member

Wanting to learn right

Post by fiatben »

I would love to walk myself thru the self-study course, if I had one. Unfortunately, my '55 did not come with such. It did come with an early PTWE, which is great.

Is there a reasonably priced source for this? Certainly they don't go cheap in eBay.

I agree with everything I've read in this thread. Great advice.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
allsas
Gold Member

PTWFE --- 3 editions

Post by allsas »

This is where I have been fishing for woodworking books....
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
allsas
Gold Member

PTWFE --- 3 editions

Post by allsas »

This is where I have been fishing for woodworking books....

The older versions contain discontinued items like bench chisel sharpening jig and ?a chapter on metal finishing?.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Paul;
I have had my SS since 1983 when I bought it new. I don't consider the "woodworking" course an actual woodworking course but rather a "How to use your Shopsmith" course. So if you want make a compound miter cut the book shows you how to set up the machine to make that type of cut. Also switching between modes to make the different cuts makes you more familiar with the machine. Conclusion: go through the course and do the excersises and you will pick a lot of subtle information that will make your use of the SS much more enjoyable.
SS is not a difficult machine to use but it is different and does have a bit of a learning curve.
Bill V
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

allsas wrote:This is where I have been fishing for woodworking books...
Thanks! I already had the 10ER version of the book and just ordered the Mark 5 version from that site.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration