SS Miter Gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

SS Miter Gauge

Post by dusty »

I have read a lot on this forum about the virtues of some of the new (expensive) miter gauges and I probably don't disagree with anything I have read.

But I am here now to sing praise to the simple but reliable SS miter gauge. I just finished helping with an intensive remodel and we did a lot of flooring, molding and casings. When we first started, my working partner (son-in-law) wanted to drive back home to get his chop saw (compund miter saw). I saw no value in that and insisted that I could do it all on the SS. Thankfully, we had no crown molding.

I started by checking the 45 and 90 degree stops on my miter gauge with my recently acquired Wixey gauge. I double checked three or four times during the course and never had to reset. The only bad cuts I got were because I inadvertently moved the stock; never was it necessary to reset the stops.

We got really good corners throughout. It turned out a task to be proud of. I used wood putty on a total of two joints (inside corners).

I should not be surprised, and I am not, because I have seen the craftsmanship of many others here on the forum who use the SS.

The SS helps even the lesser experienced do a respectable job as I have just witnessed.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

I use the Wixey to set my table angle when doing beveling. I am curious about the process you use to set the miter gauge. Thanks.
Tom Woods
dusty
Platinum Member

SS Miter Gauge

Post by dusty »

I clamp the miter gauge in a bench vise with the miter fence below the vise and about six inches of the miter bar above the vise (benchtop).

In this manner, the face of the miter fence is a horizontal surface upon which I can set the Wixey. The miter bar is a more or less vertical surface to which the Wixey will attach (being magnetic).

I first take a reading with the Wixey on the miter bar and I zero the Wixey.

The miter bar is now the "reference surface".

I then move the Wixey to the face of the miter gauge. With the miter at 90 degrees, I expect a 90 degree reading on the Wixey. Adjust the miter gauge and stop as required.

I then tilt the miter to the 45 degree stop and check the Wixey. Adjust the miter gauge and stop as required.

Then to the other 45 degree stop and check the Wixey. Adjust the miter gauge and stop as required.

CAUTION NOTE: The miter face is not magnetic, the Wixey will slide off. I don't know how rugid it is but I don't want to test it.

I was real impressed with how the miter stops held their position over the coarse of a busy week in the shop. I checked now and then but not once did I have to reset the stops. The base boards, casings and moldings all look great. I got lucky, the bad joints are where they can't be seen.

I did use just a very small drop of red loctite. VERY SMALL.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Dusty
I agree I think a lot of the talk about mitre gauges is little more than Ad hype to make us dissatisfied with what we got and want something else.

A mitre gauge is a mitre guage, if it can be set up properly and holds those settings then it is a good mitre gauge.

We tend to get caught up in the latest gadget treadmill generated by Ad people that have never entered a workshop let alone know anything about wood working and we end up frustrated and poor while they end up wealthier.

I'm learning to resist every new tool, gauge, measuring device, time saver that comes down the pike and now I'm using my saved money to buy wood to actually do the projects I didn't do before because I was broke from buying the latest and greatest.
Ed
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

As a philosophy, I agree with Ed. As a practical matter, I agree with Ed and Dusty about the SS miter guage.

But . . . I have the Incra miter guage 2000, use it all the time, and like it a lot. It's got way more than three angle stops, it's easy to set up a meausurement stop for repeatability (something I have also made for the SS Miter guage, but you don't have to make it), easy to make micro adjustments if necessary and a really decent product.

Does that mean everyone needs one? No, of course not. But I wouldn't put it in the category of new, but pretty much useless, toys to save time and take your money. If you have a use for the features it brings to the table (pun intended), it's great to have.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I too give the shopsmith miter gauge a big salute!

I went for years without ever wanting or needing anything else. That ended a couple years ago when I got a incra 2000. I had a project that was all angles and with enough of them to warrant the speed and easy of use of the incra. After that and because of a couple of issues with the stop fence and how it works on angled stock and the biggest item of all the lack of a safety grip with hold down it fell in to occasional use.

Now I have project that is in the planning stage and I'm thinking of upgrading the 2000 with a new expanding fence and the flip fence like on the SE models. I still have not pulled the trigger but I'm close... anyone else done this change?? Sort of broke my budget this month and I have auto insurance coming due at the end of the month (see reason below).

I'm also looking forward to seeing how I like the miter express that I ordered on the extended fathers day sale. Another bunch of options when doing projects keeps the mind alert and old age from setting in.... now where was I??? Oh, I remember I'm at the end of this post...

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Ed

Post by dusty »

Welcome back. The forum has missed your quaint charm!
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robg
Gold Member

Post by robg »

I am waiting for the miter express as well. that will determine for me if I choose to go any further with the Incra stuff. the only draw back to using the incra is having a floating table to support it. Since I work on the left side of the saw blade, that means the floating table covers the head stock and makes on/off and speed adjustments more difficult. B/c of that, I typically use the SS if I don't have to set up for the Incra (and remain very happy with it).

But if the Miter Express works like it looks like it might, I may change over entirely. We will see (if it ever arrives, anyway).
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Time to put in my two cents worth. (Don't know why we only give a penny for thoughts, but put in two pennies.) (Ever wonder where the extra penny goes?)

Today, again, I came to appreciate the SS miter gauge. I usually use the SS aluminum miter extension (555429) with a sand paper sticker (515937) on it. There is absolutely no slipping of work pieces, and they are always held down with the gauge. (It's really a dream extension and works on either side)
Today, I had to remove the aluminum extension and put on a indexed (shop made) extension. I was making 18 equally spaced slots in a jig for shutters. (I hate to make jigs!) Any way, because the indexing extension was a little too tall - so I had to remove the hold down part of the gauge. What a bummer! I squeezed the safety handle and nothing happened. Surprise?:rolleyes:

Just the missing hold down clamp made me feel like I was without my extra hand! Actually, I was! Had to reach over the miter gauge on each cut and make sure the work pieces (did two at one time) were tight to the table and the guage. Only now did I think of ripping off the top part of the indexing miter jig.:o
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

Gang-
To illustrate the popularity of the SS miter gage, there is a more... generic? version out there. It is either being marketed by Rockler or Woodcraft.

And to think, not too long ago I was in one of those self same stores and proudly mentioned I am a Shopsmith owner. The clerk didn't miss a beat when he suggested I get a "real" woodworking setup.

Ok, but why are you selling Shopsmith knockoffs?

Clarlese- There's that other penny!

Enjoy!
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes: