restore rails or pipes that the stockhead runs on

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jladika
Bronze Member

restore rails or pipes that the stockhead runs on

Post by jladika »

My shopsmith has been in storage for over 8 years. the pipes that the stockhead runs on got rusted. Is there a way to clean this or would i need to bur new pipes? Please help me out for I want to sale this and want it to be right.
joe
jladika@tampabay.rr.com
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

I re-did mine and it takes a bit to do it but I used fine steel wool and wd-40 to get all of it off. Then coated it with Johnson Paste wax to protect it.
jladika
Bronze Member

wd 40

Post by jladika »

I had tryed the steel wood but not the WD-40 I will give it a try
anyone know how much new ones cost?
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jladika wrote:I had tryed the steel wood but not the WD-40 I will give it a try
anyone know how much new ones cost?
Part # 501193 Way tube $80.93 each

The lower tubes are
Part #504163 Bench Tube $59.45 each

For $161.86 you can use a lot of steel wool and WD 40
Ed
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

when I started the restoration on mine the pipes where rusted over and this is the out come of alot of time and elbow grease with the wool and WD-40. I used fine wool cause I didnt want to chance hurting the pipes with a stronger wool. Just make sure that when you finish to put johnson paste wax. Not the liquid it has to be paste. This is the best pic showing the out come.

[ATTACH]340[/ATTACH]
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

tube differnece

Post by kd6vpe »

Hey it looks pretty good now. I bought a used SS and the tubes where rusty also. I used course sandpaper not knowing what I was doing. They cleaned up nice and put the paste wax on and everything slides real smooth even thought the tubes are not super smooth? When I got my SS the tubes were removed from the base and I did not know there was a difference between part numbers of the way tubes vs. then bench tubes. Does anyone know how to tell the difference in these tubes they are the same length.:p
billmayo
Platinum Member

Way and Bench Tubes

Post by billmayo »

All way tubes are 52" long and bench tubes are 52 3/4" long. The way tubes has a harder finish than the bench tubes.

Bill Mayo
kd6vpe wrote:Hey it looks pretty good now. I bought a used SS and the tubes where rusty also. I used course sandpaper not knowing what I was doing. They cleaned up nice and put the paste wax on and everything slides real smooth even thought the tubes are not super smooth? When I got my SS the tubes were removed from the base and I did not know there was a difference between part numbers of the way tubes vs. then bench tubes. Does anyone know how to tell the difference in these tubes they are the same length.:p
jladika
Bronze Member

thanks for the help

Post by jladika »

I will try this just have to get my elbow working lol
I am sure I will have many more questions

thanks again

Joe
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

billmayo,
Thank you for your answer. I will have to go to the garage now and measue them and see if I put my ss together correctly. This forum is so great I can't wail until I learn more and have a chance to help someone else.
sambofl
Gold Member

Post by sambofl »

jladika,

If you have anymore questions just ask. Are you just redoing the poles or are you restoring more? You can check out my whole restoration on in the General woodworking forum under Restoring Mark V