Is Your Shopsmith Too Short

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Is Your Shopsmith Too Short

Post by dusty »

Do you have an aching back after you have been working at your SS for a long time. If so, the cure may be part of an article in the July/August issue of Home Shop Machinist.

The author, Robert Bailey, is himself over six feet tall and had said problem. After working for years with his SS up on blocks, he developed a more sophisticated solution.

He installs a band of stainless steel between the SS legs and the Base Plate Assy on one side and the Headrest Assy on the other.

A detailed drawing (with measurements) of the author's solution is included in the July/August issue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

Dusty,

I am short, so I worry more about reaching across the table than anything else. I constantly review body placement, etc. to prevent any mishaps. I am retired, and my wife works. So, I am in the shop most of the time by myself.
Tom Woods
dusty
Platinum Member

Is Your Shopsmither Too Short

Post by dusty »

Yes, Tom, I understand your statement. I am short, about 5'7" minus whatever I lost to knee surgery. I should have requested a couple risers but I didn't.

I have thought about doing something about my situation but I hesitate because I fear there is something that will be impacted that I haven't thought about.

My thought has been to build a cabinet on locking wheels upon which I would set the SS (less its own legs and wheels). I have seen this done on the other forum by two different SS owners.

I would like the main table at just about waist height, that means lower the base and headrest about 4-6 inches.

My biggest concern is when I use the SS in the drill press mode. The headstock would be almost at end of the way tubes. I am fearful that my proposed changes would make the SS very unstable in this configuration.

My wife, who is really short, has no sympathy. She says I need to just live with it. She's probably right.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Yes, Tom, I understand your statement. I am short, about 5'7" minus whatever I lost to knee surgery. I should have requested a couple risers but I didn't.

I have thought about doing something about my situation but I hesitate because I fear there is something that will be impacted that I haven't thought about.

My thought has been to build a cabinet on locking wheels upon which I would set the SS (less its own legs and wheels). I have seen this done on the other forum by two different SS owners.

I would like the main table at just about waist height, that means lower the base and headrest about 4-6 inches.

My biggest concern is when I use the SS in the drill press mode. The headstock would be almost at end of the way tubes. I am fearful that my proposed changes would make the SS very unstable in this configuration.

My wife, who is really short, has no sympathy. She says I need to just live with it. She's probably right.
Dusty
I'm tall so my Headstock is at the end of the way tubes in drill press mode.
It is just fine, very stable so if you lower your SS don't worry about having to have the Headstock at the top of the way tubes.
Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

dusty wrote: A detailed drawing (with measurements) of the author's solution is included in the July/August issue.
I had never heard of this magazine before now they have two very interesting Shopsmith articles. Is this a fluke or should I subscribe? I have tried to find back issue with the Shopsmith metal lathe article but so far am unsuccessful. When I return I need to contact them.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Home Shop Machinist/Shopsmith Series

Post by dusty »

I haven't read the May/June issue. When I went looking for the magazine, Barnes and Noble had already changed over to the July/August edition.

They don't sell magazines once new issues have hit their stand. The guy wouldn't even look for the May/June.

This is a series of articles that I believe could be worth reading. I've thought about subscribing just to make sure I get the future issues. SWMBO does not agree so I'll be watching the news stand more closely.

Sure do want to read that first issue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty