How hot is hot?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

not2shabby
Gold Member

Re: How hot is hot?

Post by not2shabby »

jsburger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:57 pm
not2shabby wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:11 pm Did a little research and found that there’s a clutch inside the drive sleeve. I’ll probably find a replacement on eBay, if possible
Many thoughts from people here. Some are off the mark. In your original post you said the machine starts and runs and after a while it stops and hums. If it runs in the beginning that eliminates the start capacitor and start switch. They are only used to start the motor. If the motor does not start but just hums when turned on than those are things to look at. That is not your case. The motor runs fine by its self.

The Gilmer clutch slipping is not the issue either. If the Gilmer clutch was slipping the motor would still turn (not hum) but the quill would not turn.

Since everything is fine for a period of time I would bet on a bad bearing/s. Runs when cool, heats up after a period of time and a bearing seizes stopping the motor (hum).
I think you could be right. Not certain on the cause, but it’s definitely an issue with the drive sleeve. There’s some scoring on the drive sleeve that confuses me, too.

I’m going to go ahead with the poly v conversion which includes a new drive sleeve, 2 bearing quill, and poly v sheave. That’s quite an upgrade on this old machine for a few hundred dollars.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Jason
'55 Greenie (SN 290310) - restoration in progress
Texas
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That toothed pulley has(probably) a slip clutch built in.

It should require substantial torque to cause it to slip.

If it slips with little torque, it is not operating properly.

A few options:

Fix the slip clutch
Obtain a working gilmer drive sleeve(used).
Convert to poly-v drive.
Upgrade to power pro.
Limit work period duration.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
val
Silver Member

Post by val »

I heard a knock when I put the headstock back together after replacing all the bearings. I found the set screw on the Gilmer drive gear was loose. Have you any idea how much torque should be applied.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WTH did Val come from?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:56 pm WTH did Val come from?
From the SPAN either net!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

jsburger wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:17 pm
From the SPAM either net!!!
Where is the SPAM?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:06 am
jsburger wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:17 pm
From the SPAM either net!!!
Where is the SPAM?
I don't understand why val posted in "How Hot is Hot" but other than that there is no obvious reason to consider his/her post to be spam.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
val
Silver Member

Post by val »

FNG- Val here, just need a bit of info. with this question I had. I found no other place to go. I saw these other posts talking about the clutches in the drive sheave and figured this would be a good place to start.
Has anyone any knowledge here, or can send me to the right place to get my answers ?
val
Silver Member

Post by val »

Oh, I'm a he, older than my machine by 2yrs. I am surprised this thing keeps on going. Everything works great with the exception of not being able to find a torque on the set screw. Sorry to disturb your little family here.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Don't mind them. There has been a rash of spam posts recently. You are more than welcome to stay and ask questions about your ShopSmith. I have not seen a torque value for any of the set screws. If it keeps loosening, try a new set screw or some non-permanent thread lock. There is a lot of information available on the site so feel free to look around.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router