Q Using 510 Table with Jointer

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bspisak
Silver Member

Q Using 510 Table with Jointer

Post by bspisak »

I'm considering upgrading my Model 500 to the 510 table system.

If I have the headstock positioned to use the jointer, and I put the extension table at the other end, will I be able to use two floating tables in between with the included 27" tubes?

Anyone doing this now?
dusty
Platinum Member

Q Using 510 Extension Table with Jointer

Post by dusty »

Yes, you can set up that way. I suggest you get a pair of 5' tubes though (rather than using two sets of 27"). I believe the setup is more rigid.

Please give serious consideration to the 500 to 520 upgrade. I believe you will be much happier if you go all the way to a 520. The differences are worth every penny of the extra cost. Browse through this forum, you'll find that discussion many times. You'll find noone who has expressed a regret for upgrading to the 520.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
greitz
Gold Member

education needed, please!

Post by greitz »

Sorry about my ignorance, I've only used my 4" jointer once, so maybe I'm not remembering well, or not familiar with all of the jointer's capabilities.

What are you using the jointer for where you need additional support over the headstock? I could see needing additional infeed and outfeed support in front of and behind the jointer for long boards- is this what you're referring to?

The jointer sits on the left side of the machine and connects to the lower shaft using the power coupler, correct? Is a different orientation possible?

Thanks for any and all advice- one of the great things about this forum is learning about new applications which I never could have thought of myself!

Gary
dusty
Platinum Member

Q Using 510 Extension Table with Jointer

Post by dusty »

If all you are using is the jointer, there is no extra support required.

The only time I feel extra support is required is when you attach a floating table (any floating table) to the right side of the Main Table. This extra weight tends to put a strain on the trunnions.

I never, never use the Main Table without using either a pair of tubes and an Extension Table or an Adjustable Leg Support. I have had multiple incidents of the table sagging slightly giving me an out of square edge cut.

Slight waffle on the never, never. If I am doing small work like bird houses, small toys, etc. maybe no extra support.
Attachments
Maximum Table Width.JPG
Maximum Table Width.JPG (54.72 KiB) Viewed 14005 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
greitz
Gold Member

rookie error

Post by greitz »

Thanks for the picture, dusty, I understand now. I'm such a rookie I set up first for jointing, then sawing, rather than both at once. Obviously I need more practice. And I'm really looking forward to videos which hopefully willl demonstrate these sorts of time-saving concepts!

Gary
dusty
Platinum Member

Q using 510 Table w/Jointer

Post by dusty »

greitz

As stated before, you can setup for use of the jointer and table saw simultaneously and I often do.

However, I would feel remiss if I didn't issue a caution at this point.

Please be ever mindful that the jointer blades are spinning while you are using the table saw. Please make certain that the safety guard on the jointer is in place.

Likewise, don't loose track of the fact that the saw blade is spinning, hopefully not without a guard, while you are jointing. This is all especially important if you are not alone in your shop while you are doing all of this.

Whenever you set up for multiple equipment be aware that the speed settings may not be the same (in fact, probably are not the same). Do not operate at a speed higher than that recommended for the lowest speed accessory that you have connected..
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
greitz
Gold Member

safety tips

Post by greitz »

dusty- thanks for the safety tips, they're always good reminders no matter how experienced you are.

I got whacked in the head from a table saw kickback 20 years ago. The cheapo saw guard got broken off, but at least it took most of the punishment and I only got a big bump and a headache. So I've been nervous operating without blade guards ever since.

Gary
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

At the beginning of a project, I typically have the table saw and jointer both setup simultaneously. It's a great help to be able to rip and board and then clean up saw marks (yes, I get saw marks). It also comes in handy to straighten a edge on the jointer before ripping on the tablesaw.

I have upgraded my 500 to the 520 and tables work fine on the right. I only use 1 floating table and 1 table that locks securely into the end thingees.