Support Table v. Extension Brackets

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bspisak
Silver Member

Support Table v. Extension Brackets

Post by bspisak »

Has anyone been able to compare these two options for outfeed support?

I'm talking about Support Table (555307) and Extension Table Brackets (555997).

Which is easier to use? Which gives more support? Which is more versatile?

Even if I were to buy an extra floating table, the bracket solution would be cheaper. This would allow me to set up the table saw using one floating table between the main table and extension table while using the brackets and two other floating tables for outfeed support.

Is this doable?
dusty
Platinum Member

Support Table vs. Extension Brackets

Post by dusty »

I have and use both.

IMO they are equally easy to setup; there is no advantage one compared to the other.

When I use both, I use the support table as an outfeed and the brackets with floating tables as an infeed.

They are equally easy to setup. However, I keep my Support Table attached nearly all the time; it is there to use if I need it. If not, I just let it hang.

The setup that you are proposing is absolutely doable.

To gain maximum versatility consider the ultimate setup. Get another extension table, a Support Table, a pair of long (5') tubes, a pair of Brackets, and two extra floating tables. If you had written this post a week earlier, I would have sent you pictures. I just assisted in a major remodel effort and I used the total combination.

Word of Caution: Anytime you hang an extension on the right side of the main table, use either the extension table and tubes or the adjustable legs to support the weight. The table tilt lock (the trunnions) tend to slip under the weight. I am inclined to use right side extension table for this support.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Support Table vs. Extension Brackets

Post by dusty »

I was a little in doubt so I set up a combination of tables to make certain.

I have the jointer installed on the far left with the coupling and headstock moved into jointer position.

Then I have the Main Table with the extension brackets installed.

Then I have two Floating Tables and an Extension Table.

Then to the right of the Extension Table I have installed a second Main Table which I sometimes use as a Floating Table. I often refer to it as the Auxillary Main.

To do all of this, I had to use the 5' tube.

I have not attached it but I could also setup the Support Table as an Outfeed Table.

A router table could be used in lieu of my Auxillary Main.

This setup results in a total table width of 59" (61" if I use the router table), interrupted by a 1" gap where one of the Extension Brackets resides.

There is a problem with this setup. Make certain that you have set the main table for the intended maximum depth of cut needed. Otherwise, it is a big tear down and rebuild to facilitate changing Main Table height.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.