quill lock

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rowdyy
Silver Member

quill lock

Post by rowdyy »

My '57 greenie seems to have trouble with the quill lock allowing the quill to slip back while the machine is running. I believe I've tightened the lock properly and just wanted to know what else I could check. Did a quick search here and didn't find anything although I could have sworn I'd seen something about it in another thread.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Rowdy, I talked with my factory snitches and they gave me several suggestions that may help you. First, let me explain how the quill lock works. When you tighten the handle (Part # 504176), it flattens a wave washer (#501631) and pushes against a sleeve (#501318). The sleeve pushes against a spherical washer (#501317) and the washer contacts the flat surface of a yoke in the head casting. As you continue to tighten the handle, the parts bind up or jam so they will not move. The spherical washer is jammed against the yoke, the sleeve is jammed against the spherical washer, the wave washer is jammed against the sleeve, and the handle is jammed against the wave washer, and the assembly ceases to move. (The leg bone is connected to the thigh bone; the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone...) As these parts become immobile, the pinion shaft (#501312) onto which the handle is threaded also become immobile and will not turn. This prevents the quill from moving and locks it in place.

If any one of the parts in this line up is worn or missing, the quill will not lock and creeps back into the headstock. Furthermore, too much tension (or too little!) on the spring that retracts the quill could also be the source of your problem.

First adjust your spring tension:
1. Turn off and unplug the Mark V. Slide the headstock and carriage to the right (toward the base mount) as far as they will go and lock them in place in the rails.
2. Remove the nameplate to expose the access hole in the back (opposite the speed dial) of the headstock. Some older machines do not have an access hole. If this is the case, remove the screws that hold the motor pan and lower it to rest on the lower way tubes.
3. Using an awl, remove the putty or lead that plugs the screw in the top of the headstock. Remove the allen screw.
4. Extend the quill so it disengages from the pinion gear. Pull it out of the headstock, but DO NOT let go of the quill feed lever.
5. Slowly let the quill feed lever rotate to unwind the spring and release any tension on it.
6. Wind the spring up again, rotating the quill feed lever 3 full turns.
7. Insert the quill in the headstock, engage the pinion gear, and let the spring retract it into the casting.
8. Extend the quill one or two inches and replace the allen screw in the top of the headstock. Make sure the groove in the quill is facing up and tighten the llen screw so it holds the quill in its extended position. Let go of the quill and carefully loosen the screw. When the quill snaps back into the headstock, the screw is properly adjusted.

If that doesn't help, the most common cause of the problem you describe is that the wave washer is missing. Remove the quill lock handle and insure that there is a wave washer (also called a spring washer) between the handle and the sleeve on the pinion shaft.

If the wave washer is present, it's also possible that the threads inside your handle or on the shaft have been damaged. This may be preventing you from tightening the handle completely. This is rare, but a headstock with this problem came in for repair just a few weeks ago. If the threads on the shaft are damaged, you may be able to restore them with a thread file. If the threads inside the handle are damaged, you'll have to purchase a new handle.

If the quill still won't stay put, the problem is a worn sleeve or a worn spherical washer.
1. Turn off, unplug, and remove the quill as decribed in steps 1 through 5 above.
2. Remove the feed stop handle and the serrated washer behind it.
3. Remove the depth stop dial, the second serrated washer behind the dial, and the flat washer behind the second serrated washer.
4. Pick out the putty that plugs the allen screw on top of the boss where the spring housing is mounted and remove the allen screw.
5. Push the pinion shaft toward the quill lock so you can remove the sleeve.
6. Tilt the pinion shaft up slightly to prevent the spherical washer from dropping off and pull the pinion shaft out of the headstock from the feed lock side.
7. Inspect the sleeve and the spherical washer. (The sleeve should be 2" long or better. The one I miked was 2.006".) If there is evidence of any wear, replace the parts.

With all good wishes,
rowdyy
Silver Member

Post by rowdyy »

Thanks Nick, I will give this a try over the weekend.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm glad Nick covered this so well, to bad this board wasn't here a couple of years ago when I got a used 510 that, well how should I put this, it was owned by someone who should have been allowed to have one.

The quill on it would not lock either. I just dug in and since it was a second machine I used my machine as be a model of what it should look like. In an attempt to fix it he had added 3 extra washers on the outside of the machine... they of course did not help. When I got to the point of dig inside I found hidden in a pile of saw dust two washer like objects. One was the spherical washer... once the machine was clean out and the washer in place it worked fine.

The other washer? That took a call to shopsmith, figured it must belong in the machine but had no idea where. It took us a while but when we got to the right person she knew just what it was, the top hat looking part that is in the single bearing quill.

Sure is great to have a place to come for answers now a days.

Ed