510 v. 520 Upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Includes direct read scales, this is more that accommodates. For people like myself who got the older 510 to 520 upgrade we had to buy the rip scale separately.

I find the scale fantastic, it was worth the upgrade to me but this is a personal choice.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Just got an email with an extra $33 taken off the sale price of the 510 to 520 upgrade kit (net price $296). This bonus savings expires 7/30.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

My only experience with the 510 and 520 together were at a traveling academy. I purchased the 520 in the beginning. I remember thinking that the 510 simply wasn't as easy to set up and use as the 520. I confess to using my discressionary income for my shop and like to make it a safe and fun place to live. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
bspisak
Silver Member

Post by bspisak »

Thanks for the heads up!

I just found a used 510 with a bandsaw and a bunch of accessories I was also looking for for less than an upgrade. I see the 510->520 sale as well, and I'm very tempted, but I find it hard to justify until I've had some time on the 510.

Brian