Shopsmith Users Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

organtechnology
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Users Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

Post by organtechnology »

I have been looking for a Shopsmith Users Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) metro area and have not yet found it. I am sure there are sufficient machines in the area for some 'show and tell' and social activities. If anyone can guide me to the leader I would be most grateful.

If some how there is not such a group, it would take very little encouragement for me to start or help start one.

Thomas Gentry
Organtechnology

Mark V 510, Mark V Greenie, band saw, router and one Mark V whose antecedents are unknown :)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

organtechnology wrote:I have been looking for a Shopsmith Users Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) metro area and have not yet found it. I am sure there are sufficient machines in the area for some 'show and tell' and social activities. If anyone can guide me to the leader I would be most grateful.

If some how there is not such a group, it would take very little encouragement for me to start or help start one.

Thomas Gentry
Organtechnology

Mark V 510, Mark V Greenie, band saw, router and one Mark V whose antecedents are unknown :)
I lived in Plano for a few years and I am reasonably certain that there was no such group operating there back then.

If you have the time and a shop that will support such an operation, I would encourage you to give it a try.

If you decide to do this, I suggest that you either contact Shopsmith for advise OR make certain that you do not act as though you are an agent of Shopsmith. Acting as one when you are not will get you nothing but trouble you do not need.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
organtechnology
Bronze Member

DFW Shopsmith user group.

Post by organtechnology »

dusty wrote: If you decide to do this, I suggest that you either contact Shopsmith for advise OR make certain that you do not act as though you are an agent of Shopsmith. Acting as one when you are not will get you nothing but trouble you do not need.
I am not worried. Shopsmith certainly won't have much to say about individuals showing off the things they make with the Shopsmith. Demos are another thing entirely. Perhaps all demos should be recorded and shown on a large screen so that there is no rotating machinery present at the meeting. :)

You may be right about the lack of a club. We shall see who is interested.

Pax,

Thomas
easyaim
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Club in DFW

Post by easyaim »

Count me in for a Shopsmith Club in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have a ton of questions and would like to borrow some ideas.
tshusker
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmith Users Group in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

Post by tshusker »

I know this is a pretty old post, but wonder if such a DFW group was ever created. I'm in Plano and would appreciate knowing SM folks in the area for guidance and assistance.
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

I live in Dallas and haven’t heard of any local SS users groups. 35 years ago there was a Shopsmith store on Central across from Spring Creek BBQ that was a good resource, but we’re on our own now. However I think several members of the online users group may live in the DFW area. Don’t know if any would be interested in getting together occasionally to share ideas but might be some interest.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I am not a member, but there is a Facebook group that helps facilitate the formation of State and Local groups and clubs.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/482531729605069
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,