disk sander idea

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

peterm
Platinum Member

disk sander idea

Post by peterm »

I have some packages of 10" diameter peel and stick sandpaper that I bought on sale years ago and wanted to use them with the SS.
[ATTACH]9529[/ATTACH]
I was wandering through a home accessory store following LOML, and noticed a display of charger plates on sale.
[ATTACH]9530[/ATTACH]
As bought, for $4.00, it was a flat disk about 12" diameter and a little under .25" thick, made of wood laminate and pvc.
[ATTACH]9531[/ATTACH]
I thought it looked a lot like a sanding disk and after drilling a 1.25" center hole for a spare saw arbor and cutting it down to 10" dia., it still does. [ATTACH]9532[/ATTACH]
It was quite abrasive to turn to size on the SS but having the strip sander set up to repeatedly sharpen the chisel was very handy. It seems to be adequately stiff while turning, and flutter free. I intend to run it on the slow setting.
Attachments
sears sanding disk.JPG
sears sanding disk.JPG (124.84 KiB) Viewed 6583 times
charger plate label.jpg
charger plate label.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
disk back.JPG
disk back.JPG (93.09 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
disk front.JPG
disk front.JPG (126.13 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Yup, but mine cost $4.
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

prmindartmouth wrote:Yup, but mine cost $4.
Yup, you could buy almost five of those for the price of the one from Woodcraft. Wonder which one has the greater longevity, especially when you lean into it?]
Rob in San Diego
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Rob, you are absolutely right.

I rank the SS 12" ones at the top, a steel 10" next and a charger based one a long way down at the bottom, but it does fit my arbor (used a hole saw to "drill" it) and lets me use those Sears sanding disks right now. Time will tell how long it will last. I will try not to lean.
Peter
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

prmindartmouth wrote:Rob, you are absolutely right.

I rank the SS 12" ones at the top, a steel 10" next and a charger based one a long way down at the bottom, but it does fit my arbor (used a hole saw to "drill" it) and lets me use those Sears sanding disks right now. Time will tell how long it will last. I will try not to lean.
The 10" discs like yours and the Woodcraft version allows owners of the model 500 Mark V to sand through the slot in the worktable and use there regular lower saw guards for dust control.

And as far as leaning goes.....I find myself leaning more and more each year.:D
Rob in San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Or . . . Ya could purchase a Mark VII 10" sanding disk on e-bay! Probably cost ya more than $4 though!:D

P.S. Whatsa 'charger plate'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

I did not know what they are either, till I read on Wikipedia:

Charger plates or service plates are larger decorative plates used to dress up dinner tables at parties, weddings, and other special events.
Peter
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

prmindartmouth wrote:I did not know what they are either, till I read on Wikipedia:

Charger plates or service plates are larger decorative plates used to dress up dinner tables at parties, weddings, and other special events.
That oughta protect the good linen! Are they somehow non-skid to prevent sliding???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

JPG40504 wrote:That oughta protect the good linen! Are they somehow non-skid to prevent sliding???
Ours are just plastic. They stay put retty well on the table, but allow spinning the dinner plate to your favorite part and also the dinner plate can be pulled off center toward the eater. (all good features)

They really help catching those crumbs from dinner rolls.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA