Saw Blade Inventory

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lodgepole
Gold Member

Saw Blade Inventory

Post by Lodgepole »

Has anyone put together a list of their favorite saw blades for the tablesaw, bandsaw and jigsaw (or scrollsaw)? I would be interested to know which blades most of us use the most.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I have the three Shopsmith thin kerf blades, 50T combination, 24T rip, and 60T crosscut. They are my "workhorses". For plywood, which now has extremely thin veneers, I'm using a Freud 80T HiATB blade with a small hook angle. It does a great job on all plywood and laminates. I've mounted it on Shopsmith's 5/8" arbor.

For the bandsaw, I mostly use the 1/4" blade for curved cuts and the 5/8" for resawing and straight line cutting.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I use Tenryu blades on the miter saw, Skil worm drive and on the SS. I use Timberwolf and shopsmith blades on the bandsaw.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Saw Blade Inventory

Post by dusty »

With a single exception, all of my saw blades (coping saw excepted) are Shopsmith. I have one Freud blade (the exception) that was given to me several years ago. I sorta baby that blade because it is now the sharpest one in the shop.

I have not purchased a new blade from Shopsmith since they started selling Amana but that is likely to change soon.

All of my older carbide tipped blades have been sharpened and may be beyond doing so still again. I had such good luck with the Shopsmith blades (which were Freud) that I really hate to change.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Most of my saw blade regardless of tool are from Shopsmith. I tend to buy the higher quality blades when I do. The new Amana blades from Shopsmith are amongst my favorites. Wow are they ever sharp and true. All of my band saw blades are shopsmith. To date I have only had one fail. I treated it badly for a good while prior to its breaking. I do tend to stock up when they are on sale. Let's be honest. I seldom buy new blades. I have six on hand for the table saw and a dozen in varying widths for the band saw. I have one circular blade (the original blade for my 520) that seemed very dull. I cleaned it and decided it was ready for more use. One day soon I will have it sharpened. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

All my circular blades (SS, cabinet saw, circular saw) are Freud. I buy on sale. Prices range from $40 to $90. My SS bandsaw blades are SS. My free standing 14" Bandsaw blades are Grizzly blades.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

1) original blade that came with the Mark V-- steel rip (28);
2) Krome King Combi, from SS store, steel, (80/16);
3) V-A, from SS store, 6" utility wobbler Dado blade;
4) SS Combi, Carbide, {555001}, 50/10;
5) SS Plywood, {555192}, 2.7 bazillion teeth;
6) Forrest WWII;
7) Amana, from SS, 6"(18) Dado Set.

Chronology and sale prices mostly account for "duplications", along with obvious upgrades in quality (over a 24 year span). [Like, if I'd started with #6 I wouldn't have bothered with 2 and 4; likewise 7 vs 3.]

But with a blade change (all mounted) being so quick and easy I still use all blades where appropriate (esp. rip).

And ye olde '75 Craftsman circ saw does most full sheet cut-downs.

Oops! Almose forgot band saw: 1 Wood Slicer, all rest ShopSmith, and happily.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

Ban saw I have the Shopsmith and the timber wolf blades 1/8”,1/4”, /1/2”
I use the 1/4” more that the other.
Table saw I have the Shopsmith blades that came with my 520.
Scrollsaw , I use Olsen blades
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
burkhome
Gold Member

Saw Blades

Post by burkhome »

Years ago I found that Freud blades provided good results at a reasonable price. Not being overly adventurous, other than a few dewalt blades at give away prices I never bought any other brands. I use SS blades on the bandsaw. They always give good results.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
berry
Platinum Member

Saw Blades

Post by berry »

Shopsmith
Combo: Freud LU83R
Rip: Freud LU87R

Circular saw: Freud Avanti 40 tooth & Irwin for hacking

Scroll saw: Olson (Lots of folks like Flying Dutchman but I never had any luck with them?)

Jig saw: Vermont American (These are hard to find now?)
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker