headstock wax

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

headstock wax

Post by wa2crk »

Recently I posted some pix of my headstock rebuild and the rotted wire insulation. That same rebuild also revealed another potential problem that may cause the headstock to drag on the way tubes when it is being moved.
[ATTACH]9678[/ATTACH]
The black "stuff"is old wax buildup and some embedded sawdust that accumulated over a number of years. Most was removed with some solvent and the really stubborn stuff with a three cornered scraper. (gently)
This stuff was also found in the quill bore in the headstock and was removed by wrapping piece of 3M green scrubby pad attached to a stick and some solvent. After cleaning, the bores of the holes were polished and waxed. The headstock will now move on the way tubes with one finger pressure.
Bill V
Attachments
headstock wax.jpg
headstock wax.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:Recently I posted some pix of my headstock rebuild and the rotted wire insulation. That same rebuild also revealed another potential problem that may cause the headstock to drag on the way tubes when it is being moved.
[ATTACH]9678[/ATTACH]
The black "stuff"is old wax buildup and some embedded sawdust that accumulated over a number of years. Most was removed with some solvent and the really stubborn stuff with a three cornered scraper. (gently)
This stuff was also found in the quill bore in the headstock and was removed by wrapping piece of 3M green scrubby pad attached to a stick and some solvent. After cleaning, the bores of the holes were polished and waxed. The headstock will now move on the way tubes with one finger pressure.
Bill V

THANKS! I needed that! Speaking for the headstock And the carriage???:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

JPG;
Yes the carriage also had the buildup. Too much wax and not enough buffing I suppose
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="wa2crk"]JPG]

Or the wrong wax???????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

Thanks. I needed this because after cleaning up the tubes and waxing, this garbage kept showing up. Loosening the headstock lock always causes a popping sound. Tomorrow, it will be solved. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Guys;
Swampgator, The popping sound is more than likely to be caused by the wedge locks that hold the headstock to the way tubes have become rounded and they have to have a flat surface. Check Nick's sawdust sessions for instructions on how to fix that problem.
JPG as for the wax, only ever used Johnson's paste floor wax as prescribed by the SS doctors. Twenty plus years and not enough buffing.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="wa2crk"]Hi Guys]

Oh! It is YOUR buildup!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

[quote="wa2crk"]Hi Guys]

Doh.. Mine does that.. When I loosen the headstock lock I hear a loud 'Pop!'.. I'll have to look into the fix.. Thx!

Of course my headstock does not slide with 1 finger pressure.. :(
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

osx-addict wrote:Doh.. Mine does that.. When I loosen the headstock lock I hear a loud 'Pop!'.. I'll have to look into the fix.. Thx!

Of course my headstock does not slide with 1 finger pressure.. :(

Anybody know a way to 'fix' that without removing them?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝