Is it worth it?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Is it worth it?

Post by Gene Howe »

My trusty Makita 14 V drill/driver just bit the dust. Acts like stripped gears.
Motor runs, the chuck don't. Bought a new one, 18 V.
Would be nice to have two available. The 14v batteries are still good.
Question is, would it be worth it to have the 14v repaired? Could a mechanical idiot like me do it myself?
What do ya'll think?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:My trusty Makita 14 V drill/driver just bit the dust. Acts like stripped gears.
Question is, would it be worth it to have the 14v repaired? Could a mechanical idiot like me do it myself?
What do ya'll think?

Disassemble it and Then make that decision!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Thanks. I guess I'll do just that. Might be fun as I've never disassembled a battery drill. A ShopSmith, a Skilsaw, a Ford 6 banger, but never a drill. Only needed help putting the engine back together. :D
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

===========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 13, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

===========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 13, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Gene Howe wrote:My trusty Makita 14 V drill/driver just bit the dust. Acts like stripped gears.
What do ya'll think?

Gene
Nay it would not be worth it and since your batteries are good I will take them off your hand. Just package them and send them to me.:D. I will send you back a great big thank you card ;)
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Check to see if you can buy parts before making up your mind. You may not have a decision other than to whom you are going to donate the batteries.

So as to not complicate your decision, I have nothing that they will work in. However, they would probable fir in that box under my bench.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Check to see if you can buy parts before making up your mind. You may not have a decision other than to whom you are going to donate the batteries.

So as to not complicate your decision, I have nothing that they will work in. However, they would probable fir in that box under my bench.
Nah the parts are too expensive, just send me the batteries.;)
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

judaspre1982 wrote:Gene
Check to see if you have any Makita service centers close to you. I was fortunate enough to have one within 10 miles of my house. ( It is no longer there )
I had this happen a couple times to my drills. One time after I dropped an 18v from a 10 ft ladder on to a concrete floor. There is a plastic shift rod inside that engages the planetary gears into high and low speed. This is what was broken on my drills both times and they sounded just like you describe---stripped gears. The service center took care of the problem as I waited and charged nothing for the fix either time.
If you take it apart , look for the plastic shift rod to see if it is broken or out of place. ----Dave

What Dave said.

I had an old Makita sander that was not used for some time and ran stiff. Makita service lubed it up and whatever else and did not charge me.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Gene
You don't want some half trained service rep messing with your tools. Just ship the batteries to me and tose the drill.:D
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!