SS Miter Gauge

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

SS Miter Gauge

Post by dusty »

The Shopsmith Miter Gauge (505700) is a simple but reliable apparatus. It is, IMHO, an inexpensive ($44.02 on sale) but neccessary accessory. What really impressed me was how well the 90 degree and 45 degree stops maintained position thru several days of hard use and repeated changing.

I have been using mine with a home built extension fence but recently Charlese made comment about his miter extension. If Charlese has one, it must be worth spending money for.

I was looking at the catalog and parts list when I realized that the Miter Pro (555404) and the Miter Gauge Extension (555429) both utilize the same Long Extension (515933).

I have a Miter Pro that I used for pictures frames but I don't make a lot of picture frames anymore. It has just hung on the wall in the shop for many moons. It nows hangs there partially disassembled.

The Long Extension (515933) has beed repurposed; it is now part of one of the most used accessories in the shop, the Miter Gauge. The old hardwood extension can now be cut into runners for use as miter bars.

Now I must decide. Do I need a Long Extension to put on the other Miter Gauge (555101). This one is equipped with the Safety Grip (505625) which is what Charlese is so accustomed to using.

What makes Shopsmith so unique is that parts/accessories, which I bought some 15-20 years ago, are still available today - same part numbers. Prices have changed a bit but the quality and versatility has not. Equally impressive is the fact that mine are in as good shape as they were 20 years ago. The paint and polish is a bit worn but the hardware is fully functional.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

[quote="dusty"]
...I was looking at the catalog and parts list when I realized that the Miter Pro (555404) and the Miter Gauge Extension (555429) both utilize the same Long Extension (515933)....

...The Long Extension (515933) has been re purposed]

That's where I got mine too! But when I got tired of switching back and forth, I bought a new one. If you buy a replacement for the one from the Miter Pro - it is less expensive than the miter gauge extension. But you won't get another stop block.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA