Drill chuck TIP

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Drill chuck TIP

Post by charlese »

Ever had trouble getting a small drill bit to center in your chuck? I read a tip to overcome this issue a while back and have practiced it since. It really works! The tip came back to my attention yesterday when chucking up a number 56 bit. (this is about 1/4 the size of a 1/8" bit)

Here's the tip - never tighten the chuck using just one of the holes. Put the bit in the chuck and tighten by hand - at the same time as slightly wiggling the bit. With the key in your RIGHT HAND slightly tighten the chuck. Move to the next hole and slightly tighten again. Repeat with the third hole. You may find that the bit is tight by now, but don't hurry! Check the next hole (this is a repeat of the first hole) Now, for sure, the bit is tight. Imagine! a tight - straight bit with only a small amount of torque on the key.

I think this works so well because this method eliminates most of any play (lag) between gear teeth in the chuck.

Another hint; Put the key in your left hand to loosen the chuck. It's the old righty-tighty, lefty loosey rule.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rolands
Gold Member

Post by rolands »

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out. :)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I saw this and thought it should be re-titled 'Chuck's chuck tips'.... or maybe we could have a new forum called 'Chuck's chuck chat'????

OK now to the point of the post. Chuck's chuck information is quite correct but I thought I would add a little to it.

First must chucks have a size limit, we hear about 1/2" chucks, 3/8" chucks, 1/4" chucks or largest bit size... what we don't hear about is the lower limit. Typical chucks like the one in your drill or on the shopsmith have a lower limit around 1/16". In terms of numbered drill sizes that is between a 52 and a 53, or around 1.55 mm. While you might get yours to chuck some thing smaller it can be a hit and miss thing. If you look at the chuck and hand tighten you will notice a small gap left where the 3 parts come together. This is how they are made and is a fact of life for most chucks. (I don't have the specs for the shopsmith one but if someone does please post)

You can buy chucks that are good down to a #80 drill (.0135) or let me say I have seen and used chucks that worked in that range. The smallest twist drill I have ever seen was a #97 (.0059). These are out of the normal homes needs and are often found on high-speed-precision drill presses.

For us normal people they sell a small chuck with a short shaft the goes into your normal drill press chuck, just like a drill bit does, and thus provides a chuck for those smaller bits. If someone just has to see one of these let me know and I will dig mine out and shoot some pictures.

Second, you can loosen the chuck in the same pattern you used to tighten it, a little here a little there and you might find it easier to do after you have really snugging it up.

Ed
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

reible wrote:I
The smallest twist drill I have ever seen was a #97 (.0059).
Ed
Could you tell that was a drill bit with the naked eye? Considering I still have to work to find one of my seven red handled allen wrenches whenever I need it (even though I keep 2 on my acc. shelf), I would be hard pressed to find this bit when installing the hinges on my 'pet flea house':) (I can't imagine what else you could use a bit that small for)
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote: ...First, must chucks have a size limit, we hear about 1/2" chucks, 3/8" chucks, 1/4" chucks or largest bit size... what we don't hear about is the lower limit. Typical chucks like the one in your drill or on the shopsmith have a lower limit around 1/16"... Ed
Thanks for the added information!

I had noticed the small gap in Shopsmith's chuck, but didn't pay it any heed! Guess I'm lucky that it will hold a #56. I knew it would hold a #55 as I have used one of these previously. The #56 was a little difficult to get mounted straight so there was no wiggle.

I am using a #56 to drill guide holes for 18 gauge staples. A #55 is the same size as 18 guage so the staples would be too loose. With a #56 there is a need to use several (10 to 15) firm taps to seat the staples one inch deep, and then they are firmly placed.. For me this beats the other method of making two complicated jigs to hold a power stapler and then putting up with some blow-outs.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA