Weekly Blog - July 22nd

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Weekly Blog - July 22nd

Post by john »

Well vacation is over! Not the best ever as the most good weather in a row was two days. Most days had some rain but kids being kids, it didn't seem to bother them as much as me.

Now we have to pay for the vacation in terms of tackling the overgrown garden and lawn and a small decorative pond that has water the colour and consistency of pea soup, that in spite of the fact I spent fifty bucks on a filter before leaving.

I did manage to snare some new WW tools though. The first was during a rainy day visit to Sears in Burlington, Vt. as I picked up a folding height adjustable tool stand on sale from $60 down to $35. I hope to use it for the router table I purchased earlier this year. That now sits taking up space on my planer stand but when summer is over, the planer comes back inside there is no room for both a stand alone router table and planer stand.

The second was purchases from my SS wish list. I ended up getting the Kreg band saw fence with the resaw guide as well a the flip stop arrangement that goes on either of the two fences. These along with an extra flip stop and sanding belts for the strip sander were all I could manage but that ought to keep me busy and happy for a while. All of this was delivered right to the cottage thanks to the new emergency 911 regulations that require every residence to have a street address. Previousl;y we could only use a postal box and most places will not deliver. In this case, I ordered on Thursday and all was deliver to the door the following Tuesday. Good job by both ShopSmith and FedEx

I see from the forum, it has been a busy period for many of you. Thanks to Chuck for keeping the ball rolling on the blog, I must comment again that he shows a level of patience and planning that I don't have. Those shutters should end up being beauties. Also kudos to John for his wishing well from scratch. I may make a lot of things but I wish I had more creative juices so I didn't have to rely on plans. It sure must add to the satisfaction level to complete a project from design to finish

Have a fun week!

John
muncyjohn
Gold Member

Post by muncyjohn »

Good to see you back safely and writing your weekly blog again, I look forward to it.
Thanks to Chuck for keeping the ball rolling. Rain is something we have only wished for, here in Pa where I live they have had many thunderstorm warnings and we have only had about a 1/2 inch in the past two months.

Maybe when the grandkids get back to school and I don't end up every weekend picknicing and boating I'll be able to use some of my new toys in the shop again and get some of the other projects that are on the wanna list, till then I love having them around even though they keep me broke!
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

John, good to have you back. I'm glad you had a safe and fun vacation (it's always fun to get new tools!)

I didn't get to spend very much time in the shop this past week, but the time I did get was spent sanding the parts to the rocking horse. I've got to finish it this week because we're suppossed to deliver it to the granddaughter in Anderson, S.C. this weekend for her b'day. (pray for me:) )

Have a great week and let us know how you like the new toys!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Thanks guys.

John: I hope you get the rain you need but not like they are getting in other parts of the globe.

Alan: I sure hope you get the rocking horse finished! Of course if you don't, then you could deliver it in parts and then it would be more like all the other things we buy: "requires some assembly". Good luck.

The bandsaw fence is installed but perhaps not quite parallel to the blade yet. From what I have seen so far, I think this was a great purchase.

I must say I am not impressed with the instructions that came with it. Mostly photocopied pages and on the SS portion, two of the illustrative pictures referred to, are just blank spots on the page. I think for the money they charge, Shopsmith can do a more professional job than that, but then I think someone already made this point some time ago. It's even more disappointing considering I was so impressed with the documentation and instruction manual that came with the original purchase of my 510 so many years ago.

I have not yet assembled the tool stand as I have a little planning to do and some disassembly of the benchtop router table from how it is currently setup.

Have fun!

John