Rip Fence Extension

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Rip Fence Extension

Post by dusty »

Does anyone utilize an extension on their rip fence? If you do, please explain why.

Is it a SAFETY sort of thing or does it provide some special functionality or is it just another kean accessory that you have accumulated. I have a lot of those already (kean accessory that is) and I don't need another.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

Dusty,

I use the extension when working with plywood. I feel it gives me more infeed support.
Tom Woods
dusty
Platinum Member

Rip Fence Extension

Post by dusty »

tom;

How long is your rip fence with the extension?

Do you feel the same need when ripping long planks, say 12' 1x8s?

I cut down most of my sheet goods using a circular saw. If you did that, would you still use a rip fence extension?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I built a 4 foot long one not long after I got my shopsmith, might be the plans are in the PTWFE or maybe I got them some place else or even more likey both.

It is a 4" high plywood piece that bolts to the rip fence. It has an infeed and outfeed support that attaches to the bottom of the vertical piece with space near the table and more near the front for the rip fence. I'd say these horizontal pieces were maybe 4" wide giving you 3-1/4" support for the stock before and after it left the table. I'm to lazy to go out and look for it but it seems that maybe those pieces were about a foot long.

This provided not only a longer rip fence but also support for longer pieces as you rip them... If you look in the PTWFE and can't find it let me know and I will see if I still have it and take a couple of pictures. It was made to fit the 500 and since both of my machines are 520's I may have cut it up for some other use, or not.

I have thought about building a 520 version but that is about as far as that has gotten. I've only built a few replacement jigs thus far. With the larger table maybe I don't even need one of these anymore?? I do know I used it a lot on the 500.

Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I also built the one in PTWFE for my 500 and used it a lot, since upgrading to the 510 and then 520 I have never used it again nor have I missed it.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

My extension fence is 30+ inches (33 or 34). I feel more safe and accurate when I use it for sheet goods due to my short stature. I use it to rip anything over 6 feet in length, sheet goods or planks. Also, it helps with wide sheet good pieces as well. With 5 inches or so of additional support on the in feed end, this set up works well for me.
Tom Woods
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:Does anyone utilize an extension on their rip fence? If you do, please explain why.

Is it a SAFETY sort of thing or does it provide some special functionality or is it just another kean accessory that you have accumulated. I have a lot of those already (kean accessory that is) and I don't need another.

Dusty
I never used one. As I understand fences and their purpose their function is to keep the wood a set distance from the blade. Their length help insures the cut is parallel to the side which is against the fence. The length of the SS fence is sufficient to do this so I don't see the need.

It seemed to me if you put a board of any length on edge attached to the existing frence there would be a degree of flex for the portion that extended pass the fence. Therefore in my way of thinking a simple board laying on edge acting as a long aux fence serves no purpose. It is not rigid enough to ensure it doesn't flex itself so there is no way it can help ensure the cut remains parallel.

Now someone mentioned attaching a horizontal piece to the aux fence to act as a support for the wood being cut, almost like an out feed table. That sounds interesting especially for cutting narrow dimensioned stock.

Someone mentioned safety and I would to understand that. I don't see how having an extended fence aids in safety.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Looks like mine is gone, when out and had a look this morning and I don't see it sitting around anywhere.

I then came in and found it on page 28, figure 2-48 and it is called a rip fence extension (PTWFE 4th edition). Mine was a bit different in that the height was shorter, the supports on the bottom wider and the no slot for feather boards. I think this is an updated version for use on machines with the larger tables.

After looking at it I think I'll build one. Not today but sometime soon, and I'll make a few changes like wider supports......

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Rip Fence Extension

Post by dusty »

ed

How do you plan to attach your extension to the existing fence? The plan in PTWFE calls for two carriage bolts through the fence but the new SS rip fence has no holes. I was bummed by that and had to part with a couple jigs because of it.

I have thought about this a little and am trying to figure a way to utilize the miter slots and some t-nuts but can't have anything projecting beyond the working surface of the fence?????
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Not long after getting my 500 in '83, I make a fence extension very similar to the one Reible made.

I had several 4x8 sheets to cut so I made a 5' extension out of 3/4" birch plywood that fastened to the fence with 1/4" x 20 carriage bolts & wing nuts. To stiffen it I fastened a 3" wide section of the same plywood in an inverted "L" the entire length of the fence which extended over the top of the fence. I also put feet on the bottom of the extension to support the sheet on both infeed and outfeed.

When I converted my 500 to 520 I found that I no longer needed it. I still have this fence but it is no longer used.