Deer horn pens

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dickroan
Silver Member

Deer horn pens

Post by dickroan »

I just got my hands on enough deer horn material to make two pens if my hands are steady enough to not drill through the curves......Anyway, does anyone know what type of finish to use on the finished pens (polyurethane, friction polish, etc.)? Also will I have any unexpected problems on the lathe cutting down the horns?.....Any help would be appreciated....thanks, dick
:cool:
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

I have not actually turned any antlers yet, but I have seen some and talked with a couple of people who have b/c I also have some deer and elk antlers that I want to make some pens from. From what I've been told, they are not hard to turn but stink real bad in the process. The inside of the antlers are very porous, as you probably already know. Both people I've asked, if I'm not mistaken, used CA glue as a finish. This is common practice for lots of pen turners in general.

Keep us posted of your progress and anything you may learn about turning the antlers. Good Luck!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
dickroan
Silver Member

antler pens

Post by dickroan »

I've been told to wear a good mask while turning the pens....I just never thought to ask about finish used or cracking, peeling, drilling, etc. I have the holes drilled in two pieces big enough to hold "pen tubes", but I really didn't know what to expect from there....One fellow I used to work with said he used friction polish to finish his pens, but the pieces just looked to porus for friction polish to me....Thanks for the follow up.....make something nice...dick
muncyjohn
Gold Member

Post by muncyjohn »

I have had some deer antlers sitting high on the shelf for about 3 years because I didn't have the right equipment to cut them, now that I have the SS BS I guess I can't use that excuse anymore.

Personally I am not real impressed with a plain blah looking pen and thats what I saw when looking at the antlers but maybe I am wrong so I will take a stab at it and see what they look like today!

How about sharing your results Dick when you get yours turned!

I see you had the holes drilled already, that's good, I was wondering about that part too since I tried doing some of that countertop stuff and it was tricky drilling without splitting it, I think it took me 6 pieces to get 1 pen!
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
muncyjohn
Gold Member

Post by muncyjohn »

Well Dick don't look for any finished deer horn pens from me, I just got them down and after cutting 2 sized pen blanks with the BS the odor got to me, spent the last hour with Fabriese and using the dust collector to vacumm everything, even took the cover off the BS attempting to get the smell out, nope horn turning is not for me!
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

This is definitely an interesting post. I too have some deer antlers sitting on a self waiting to be turning into pens.

I found a turning forum in Australia of all places and asked for advice on turning antlers. Here is a summary of what I found out:

1. Wear a mask - the dusk can cause an allergic reaction.
2. CA was the finish of choice (I haven't tried this, but I guessing you use the thin stuff.)
3. Build a clamping jig to drill the holes. The one I saw was simple. It was just two pieces of 2x4 with bolts through them so you could clamp the antler between them.)

What I need now is some positive incentive. Has anyone made pens from antlers that turned out well? Like the post above, the antler I have looks plain. Why would I put up with the smell, etc. to make plain looking pens?
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Greenvilleguy wrote:What I need now is some positive incentive. Has anyone made pens from antlers that turned out well? Like the post above, the antler I have looks plain. Why would I put up with the smell, etc. to make plain looking pens?
I guess the best incentive is to have a pen from the antlers of a deer you harvested, or to make one for someone else who wants one from a deer they took. Like you, I don't see much other incentive, but, everone has different tastes:) Have fun turning!
Alan

Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

One more question, should I bleach the horn blank to make it whiter? Has anyone tried this?
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

Greenvilleguy wrote:One more question, should I bleach the horn blank to make it whiter? Has anyone tried this?
I never thought about that. I'll probably leave mine natural, though, in case they look like imitation ivory:o
Alan

dickroan
Silver Member

Finished the pens.....Great

Post by dickroan »

OK guys, I was able to get two pens out of the scraps I got from my barber....Be sure to wear a good mask/breather. I got no smell at all with my "gas mask" style mask.....two cannisters on either side for gas and one in the middle for particles....It really did the job.

To drill the pens: select and cut two 2 1/2 inch sections for each pen...I cut it a little long so that I'll trim it to size after the brass has been inserted. The hardest part of the job is drilling the holes...the "Cross" style pens use a
7mm drill bit. I clamped mine in woodworker's twist clamps and used care to make sure I was able to drill down and not blow out the side....I ruined two pieces before I learned to site down the sweet center.

Glue the brass tubes into the drilled holes and call it a day.

I set up the 500 with the barrel trimmer and made sure each end was trimmed to perfect end and the brass tube about 1mm inside the antler piece. Place the pieces on a Mandrel according to instructions and set the shopsmith up on a lathe setting. Make sure your lathe tools are sharp. Deer antlers are a little more hard than walnut....More like hard maple. Use your gouge on a slow speed to take the rough antler down to a smooth round shape. Now you can speed up a bit and cut the antlers down to the mandrel bushings and sand. I used speed setting on H but you be the judge for yourself. Started with 150 grit and sanded to 400 grit using "strips" . You will be surprised how beautiful it is....It is hard to describe, but kind of like pearl with some brown specks under the finish.....

Insead of using a light CA glue, an old friend of mine suggested that he got fine results with friction polish....I put on a few coats and another surprise...the pen started turning colors....When I finished, it was a beige pearl finish and people really love it.....Just about the best pen I ever made.