Extension Table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Extension Table

Post by dusty »

When I got my extension table, it came with the studs installed. No questions asked, I attached the Extension Table Base and have used it for many years.

I then purchased a second extension table and it came in exactly the same configuration. The tables extend further to the left than to the right; in other words the tables are offset to the left.

If you look at the casings, it doesn't have to be that way. You could install two more studs in the unoccupied holes and remount the Extension Table Base so that the table was offset in the other direction.

Is there a reason for why one might do this? More importantly, is there I reason why one should not.

After all, if Shopsmith had wanted that to be done, they would have put it in the instruction manual and installed six studs.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

You know I did address this as an answer to another of your posts. Check:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=8

In fact I think it answers all of your questions... but if not ask again.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Extension Table

Post by dusty »

ed, Thank you. But I still have the question.

Other than a visual indication of which table is which, is there a functional reason for the offset?

I have not restudded mine but I still have a dedicated right extension and a dedicated left extension; this has eliminated the alignment issue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
army1ret
Silver Member

Post by army1ret »

[quote="dusty"]ed, Thank you. But I still have the question.

Other than a visual indication of which table is which, is there a functional reason for the offset?

I have not restudded mine but I still have a dedicated right extension and a dedicated left extension]

Dusty- I know that the left and right will have different alignments (even though I've interchanged mine without problem). I also know once set for either side, Shopsmith recommends keeping it to that side.

As for why, I'd say the good engineers at Shopsmith did everything in their power to ensure the unit was accurate down to the last bolt, but had to account for inaccuracy at some point. I think you found the point, my friend.
:D
Shannon Fields
CPT, FA
US Army Retired!
Bryan, TX :rolleyes:
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

I have mine set so the right one has the more table out to the right and then on the left on it has more table out to the left. The 5 foot tubes still make it between the screws in the extrusions so I figured why not do it that way.

In addition to having to just look at them to know which is right and which is left you also have just a bit more space on the table that way... I didn't measure it but maybe an inch or two. I can check for you tomorrow if you want the actual amount.

I just tapped the second holes and moved things over so it was not a big deal and if I find a reason to not have it that way I'll move it back... so far I have not found a big advantage or a disadvantage other then the visuals.

BTW if you did the larger tables on the 500 you had the same option and this is how I did them too. So my plan was to do it this way even before I ordered it.

(I should also mention I ordered the table without studs for this so I don't know how hard it is to get the studs out if you wanted to remove them nor do I know if you can reuse them.... just haven't done it??)

Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:...I then purchased a second extension table and it came in exactly the same configuration. The tables extend further to the left than to the right]After all, if Shopsmith had wanted that to be done, they would have put it in the instruction manual and installed six studs.[/I]:rolleyes:
Hi, Dusty - The reason, I surmise, is "simplicity". The extension tables are off set to the left so that the way tubes can be raised to drill press position without removing the extension table (just raising it a little). When one places the extension table on the right side of the main table, it is usually placed so the connection tubes line up. In this position, the left off set, although protruding toward the headstock, doesn't bother anything, as you can't raise the way tubes while the extension table is in place.

If one were to put the extension table in a centered position (if possible) or a right hand position he/she would have a lifting issue, even with power lifts.

In my way of thinking, the left off set is a "good thing"! It is kinda like the eccentric tubes (555626) that allows raising to drill press position while the bandsaw stays in place.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

army1ret wrote:Dusty- I know that the left and right will have different alignments (even though I've interchanged mine without problem). I also know once set for either side, Shopsmith recommends keeping it to that side.

As for why, I'd say the good engineers at Shopsmith did everything in their power to ensure the unit was accurate down to the last bolt, but had to account for inaccuracy at some point. I think you found the point, my friend.
:D
A couple of things, Shannon! Welcome to the Forum! and glad you have joined us! Enjoy!

I also have freely exchanged my one extension table from side to side without a single issue. The 5' connection tubes fit well and its support is welcomed from one side and then the other. (This way I can leave the support legs hanging on their rack) Can't say I have had a problem with rip fence alignment as I can't remember using the fence on the extension table. Things are good:) .

Also, Thanks for turning up the lost Penny on the other thread!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA