Table-Saw and Jointer in Tandem

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Table-Saw and Jointer in Tandem

Post by dusty »

My jointer resides at the left end of my Shopsmith; it seldom gets removed. However, I do not keep it mechanically attached (coupler is removed).

In PTWFE (4th edition) there is a statement on page 72 under Jointer Safety - When using the saw-jointer combination, make sure the upper and lower saw guards are mounted on the Mark V.

On page 73 under Saw-Jointer Combination there is another applicable statement - The Mark V was designed so that the table saw and the jointer can be used in combination (Figure 6-3). When the speed dial is set at "Saw-Joint," the power plant runs each tool at the proper speed. Warning: Be sure the upper and lower saw guards are mounted on the Mark V.

Do you typically run in tandem?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

I usually have them running in tandem. It just makes sense when I'm squaring up a board. I'm not yet convinced that running them in tandem has any detrimental effect, ie loss of power, when using them together. And if Shopsmith says it's okay, that's good enough for me. I may start dialing the speed down before cutting the power, however, because of the extra load at start-up. Thanks, REIBLE, for your input in the other thread. BTW, I alway have the guards in place whenever a blade or sanding disk is mounted.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I never use two tools at once on my 520. I guess Im a real beliver in Murphy's Law.

Instead, I have recently purchased a Power Station, also on casters. If you have a little additional space this is a great way to go.