Turning on the lathe

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

muncyjohn
Gold Member

Turning on the lathe

Post by muncyjohn »

I finally got around to turning a couple of pens today after getting my pen mandrel a couple weeks ago,

Very happy with the SS performance but after 3 pens, ouch my back because of it being to low!

Anyone that does turning put the SS on blocks????

I think my next turnings are going to be made with it raised about 6" higher after measuring the height of my other lathe, any suggestions???
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

You could also try sitting down might be easier than putting it up on blocks.
Jim in Tucson
ricknwood
Gold Member

Post by ricknwood »

Hi John,
the lathe tail stock center should be at elbow height. What I have done is to get two 4" X 12" headers from the lumber yard and lag bolt two togeather for each end of the Mark V. This gives me a 7" difference which at 6'3", brings my turning to the right elevation for me. I drill forstner bit holes in the top header for each end located in my caster positions. When turning, I step up the casters to there first position, put them in the holes and this keeps the machine from vibrating off onto the floor. This is what I teach in my classes. Good Luck
Rick Davis
muncyjohn
Gold Member

Post by muncyjohn »

Rick,
Thank you the great idea, I was thinking blocks but was wondering how I was going to keep it steady, I'll be using your suggestion!
John in Muncy Pa.

SS 510 w/most accessories
Wife says I should have bought this in the first place and she is always right, just takes a little convincing!
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Rick
I like what you came up with, a simple, inexpensive solution. Any chance that you might post a picture of what you did?
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
charlese
Platinum Member

Shorties' answer

Post by charlese »

There's a couple of us that don't have this problem. Also we don't bump our heads going through doors. But even height challenged folks can have compassion for anyone with back aches!

A month or so ago the forum was addressing lathe stability problems and Nick offered a solution that may also work to solve your height issue. It kinda looks like a sandbox and the box(s) could be elevated. Take a look at post #6. in the referenced url;- "plans for a sandbox" Looks to me as it could be elevated and bolted onto a 8" (or so) platform.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... =stability
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ricknwood wrote:Hi John,
the lathe tail stock center should be at elbow height. What I have done is to get two 4" X 12" headers from the lumber yard and lag bolt two togeather for each end of the Mark V. This gives me a 7" difference which at 6'3", brings my turning to the right elevation for me. I drill forstner bit holes in the top header for each end located in my caster positions. When turning, I step up the casters to there first position, put them in the holes and this keeps the machine from vibrating off onto the floor. This is what I teach in my classes. Good Luck
Rick Davis
I am not following do you have a picture?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
Greenvilleguy
Gold Member

Post by Greenvilleguy »

My solution is very simple. I keep two pieces of 4 by 4 stock, one for each end of the SS. When I'm turning, I simple lift each end of the SS up on a piece of 4 by 4. You can minimize the weight you need to lift by sliding the headstock right when you lift the left side and right when you lift the left side.

The 4" is enough for me, but I remember that others have built up custom blocks to get the height perfect. I have a mini lathe that I use most of the time so I only use the SS these days for long spindles or trueing up large bowl blanks

There was an entire thread on this topic several months ago.