A fun day with my Granddaughter

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

A fun day with my Granddaughter

Post by kalynzoo »

Today we worked in the shop/garage together making a pen. It was her first time using the lathe. The walnut slimline pen came out really nice. She's looking forward to showing it of in her 4th grade class.
[ATTACH]10563[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Karrin turning pen (2).JPG
Karrin turning pen (2).JPG (120.09 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Neat! She looks like she is in full concentration mode. She will be very proud of her work product. My kids were about her age when they each cut their names out with the SS jigsaw. They then went on to cut out gifts for their mom. The jigsaw is one of the safest tools to introduce younger children to woodworking.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I've been hesitant about doing pens. I guess I will have to give a try now..
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Don't forget to teach 'em those good lathe habits Gary, like removing all jewelry and stuff that can get caught up.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

kalynzoo wrote:Today we worked in the shop/garage together making a pen. It was her first time using the lathe. The walnut slimline pen came out really nice. She's looking forward to showing it of in her 4th grade class.
[ATTACH]10563[/ATTACH]
Gary,

Ah yes I truly enjoyed that first pen with my granddaughter. I am willing to bet that experience was the highlight of your week. There have been a number of kids and a few parents and grand parents who have made pens in her wake. This weekend I will make several pens for a quilt auction to be held by our church denomination the following weekend. I rather expect my granddaughter will be at my side as I do. Truly that child knows how to bring a huge smile to grandpa's face.:D fJimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Don't forget to teach 'em those good lathe habits Gary, like removing all jewelry and stuff that can get caught up.
Add long hair to that 'list'!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange