Rust Removal, Protectant, & Lubricant?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alancooke
Gold Member

Rust Removal, Protectant, & Lubricant?

Post by alancooke »

This post is to share rediscovered information that is relevant to some recent posts, and to ask a question sparked by that information. I started to make this two posts, but felt they were related enough to combine them. So here goes…

1) Recently found information relating to posts about rust removal and restoration:

The March 2004 issue of WOOD magazine did a head-to-head test of rust removers, protectants, and combinations. The products tested and results are summarized as follows:

RUST REMOVERS: Boeshield Rust Free; Bullfrog Rust Remover; Klingspor Sandflex Blocks; Naval Jelly; WD-40; Mineral Spirits.

PROTECTANTS: Boeshield T-9; Bostik Topcote (sold by SS); Bullfrog Fastwax with Rust Block; Slipit Tool & Surface Lubricant; Johnson’s Paste Wax; Carnuba Wax.

COMBINATIONS: Bullfrog Tool Wipes; Empire TopSaver

There was no ‘Miracle Cure’ run away winner for rust removal, but the BOESHIELD RUST REMOVER took top honors. EMPIRE TOPSAVER was rated best as a combination product. In the PROTECTANT category, however, there was no contest. BOESHIELD T-9 was the hands down winner outlasting the competitors by a huge margin in the ‘humidity torture chamber’.

As far as the BOSTIK TOPCOTE (included in the SS help kit) goes, it was not tested as a rust remover; rated average as a rust preventative; and given an A rating for ease of application. Specific comments were: Easy to use, pleasant smelling, protects a little better than paste and carnuba wax.

2) All of this information got me thinking about another product I use quite frequently, BREAKFREE CLP, and whether it would be compatible with woodworking. I use this product for cleaning, lubricating, and protecting my guns. I know the Marines use it and they are the exclusive sponsor of the U.S. Olympic Team, but what really got me thinking was when I watched an armorers video on the Colt 1911 .45 put out by the American Gunsmith Institute. On the video, the instructor was praising the qualities of BREAKFREE CLP and said that the more you use it, the more effective it is because it actually embeds microscopically in the metal creating a permanent lubricating and protecting effect. This last statement is what caught my attention because, if true, it means it would great for using on the SS, which brings me to my question (finally!:) )

Is anyone familiar with this product and whether or not it is safe to use around wood without fear of messing up a finish?

Thanks for any input and your patience with the long post!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

If it has silicone in it, keep it away from your wood and tools. Other than that, I have no knowledge of the product.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

You could try it on the moving sheves and maybe the way tubes and other parts not in contact with wood. I would be careful using it on table tops etc because it doesn't dry and could get on the wood. You could try finishing some wood that has it on it and see if it effects the finish but long term tests may be needed. Also test it to see how much it will attract sawdust, if it does it could gum up way tubes etc.
Jim in Tucson
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

batg4 wrote:If it has silicone in it, keep it away from your wood and tools. Other than that, I have no knowledge of the product.
Gotta say this. Wood dust does not stick to silicone. At least one professional Shopsmith employee has, in the past recommended either silicone or graphite to lubricate the bandsaw and belt sander as both are literally bathed in sawdust.

That said, one should also heed Ed from Tampa's serious warning about not getting ANY silicone on wood that will be finished as problems will occur.

I will continue to use silicone in these two applications. Have done so for years with no problems.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA