Stop Collar, Adjustable

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Stop Collar, Adjustable

Post by dusty »

Adjustable Stop Collar, 555937, $19.99

This is one accessory that I believe pays for itself almost as soon as it is installed. I have had mine for over a year and did not install them. I don't know why.

About a month ago, I had the main table off and decided to install the stop collar before I put it back on. Boy, do I ever wish I had done that right when I got the collars. I put one on each of the extension tables also.

The first convenience that they provide is that I can set back up after a tear down and return to the same table height settings in just seconds (with extension tables same as main table).

But the real value is when it becomes necessary to do a fine table height adjustment; just micro-dial it in. Duplicate the change on the others and you're set up.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... collar.htm
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

dusty wrote:Adjustable Stop Collar, 555937, $19.99

This is one accessory that I believe pays for itself almost as soon as it is installed. I have had mine for over a year and did not install them. I don't know why.

About a month ago, I had the main table off and decided to install the stop collar before I put it back on. Boy, do I ever wish I had done that right when I got the collars. I put one on each of the extension tables also.

The first convenience that they provide is that I can set back up after a tear down and return to the same table height settings in just seconds (with extension tables same as main table).

But the real value is when it becomes necessary to do a fine table height adjustment]http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... collar.htm[/url]
Word of caution here. I had to take mine off yesterday. Using the biscuit joiner( or drill press), had it caught between the table leg and the table top. It would not let the table go all the way to the 90º position. Of course it was positioned so the set screw was trapped between the leg and the top so I couldn't sneak in on it. Other than that, very handy device.
dusty
Platinum Member

Stop Collar, Adjustable

Post by dusty »

jimthej

Thank you. Very interesting observation.

:o Also very embarrassing.:o In my old job (before retirement), I would have been seriously reprimanded for making such a recommendation based on such obvious lack of complete evaluation.

I just went out to the shop to see if I could observe what you have reported. I can. :o It's very obvious in either the drill press mode or with the table vertical (perpendicular to the tubes).:o

I'm going to leave mine on, at least for now. Hope I'm not deep into a setup and pressed for time when I am finally forced to remove the collar due to what you have just reported.

I still like the collars at least for now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

jimthej wrote:Word of caution here. I had to take mine off yesterday. Using the biscuit joiner( or drill press), had it caught between the table leg and the table top. It would not let the table go all the way to the 90º position. Of course it was positioned so the set screw was trapped between the leg and the top so I couldn't sneak in on it. Other than that, very handy device.
Yeah! I've had hat trapping thing happen a couple of times. That's where I learned two things::o
1) You've got to be smarter than the adjustable collar. (or at least a fifth grader);)
2) In the drill press position, the collar works real well on the other side of the carriage.:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I'll try to be really quick here. I get along with only one of these, but I have been tempted a few time. What I do is get by with tube collars (like on the lathe tail piece).

The tube collars were our option before shopsmith came out with the adjustable one (one of my favorite attachments!!!). Two of those and brass set-up bars gave you limited range and was better then trying to put pencil marks on the tubes.

I still use them on the extension tables sometimes. If as you mentioned when you want to get back to a previous set-up that is a good way to do it.

Chuck had brought up the use of the collar on the opposite side of the carriage a few months back when we were talking about sanding. It was one of those things I don't do often and I had forgotten about using it that way. I think I have in the right part of the brain to remember it now. Good addition to the post!

Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Ed! If you were left handed, like me - you would always be in your right mind!:D
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA